[comp.sys.mac] Memory and MacWorld

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (05/19/89)

In article <2647@nmtsun.nmt.edu> vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei) writes:
>I just finished reading my June Macworld and there is an article about
>memory expansion possibilities for the macII*'s and there is no mention
>of virtual memory being implemented in system 7.0.  In fact the author
>advocates people buy the Virtual init and PMMU (if applicable) as a way to
>expand mac memory!  Of course he quotes the price of SIMMs as being about
>$265 per 1M so I guess this article must have been written some time ago
>and only published recently.  Why do I susbscribe to such outdated info
>sources? {8-)

I think you are being too hard on them.

First off, $265 is very close to being list price.  Just because we see
ads for $149 SIMMs doesn't mean that that's a good quote.  In fact, if
you look in that same issue, you'll see a number of 1MB SIMMs in the
$250 range.  Also, remember that lots of companies (and MacWorld does
target companies using Macs more than individuals) buy Apple parts
through Apple dealers.  My company, in fact, gets "30% off list"
on all Apple equipment, which to me is unacceptable (I got my Mac
II at over 50% off the list price), but to them is fine.  Didn't I
just read an article by someone from NC State asking for a 4MB
upgrade for less than $1000?

Secondly, I think that if you reread that article, you'll find that
it does speculate that Apple will have virtual memory soon.  Even
Apple has not "announced" VM.  All they have said is that they plan
to have it available in System 7.0.  In fact, they have not "announced"
7.0.  All they have done is tell developers what directions they
plan to take.

Finally, telling someone to go with Virtual now is not so stupid
when you consider timing.  When 6.0 came out, last year, not everyone
switched.  Some switched, and then switched back because of bugs
that were not fixed until 6.0.2.  The memory of this could mean
that some people will not switch to 7.0 until they hear from people
who have been using it for a couple of months, or it could mean that
Apple will do a lot more testing, which could result in delays,
as it did with Word 4.0.

In addition, not everyone will be able to switch over to 7.0, because
there exist applications which do not run under MultiFinder and
which break some (documented in IM) convention that doesn't cause
their programs to fail under 6.0.2.

When you consider all of these things, buying Virtual now is a VM
solution that could last many users for another year.

Now, if you want to complain about MacWorld, complain about the
letter in which someone stated something to the effect that
any software that doesn't cost anything is "public domain", and
wasn't corrected!

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce