[comp.sys.mac] SE/30 to Apple Portrait Display Cards?

FTWILSON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Frederick Todd Wilson) (05/08/89)

Hello,

Has anybody out there heard of any third party cards that will allow an SE/30
to connect to Apple's Portrait display? Any suggestions are appreciated.

F. Todd Wilson
Apple Computer Student Rep, Princeton University
AppleLink: ST0161

s160041@castor.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/08/89)

In article <8227@pucc.Princeton.EDU> FTWILSON@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>Hello,
>
>Has anybody out there heard of any third party cards that will allow an SE/30
>to connect to Apple's Portrait display? Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
>F. Todd Wilson
>Apple Computer Student Rep, Princeton University
>AppleLink: ST0161

There is a company called Generation X that makes a 1-bit video card that
will drive the Apple Portrait Display.  SuperMac also makes an SE/30 board
that drives just about every color monitor I know, maybe it works on the
APD.  Otherwise, I know of know 4 or 8-bit boards. :-(

Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (05/16/89)

Todd (& everyone else),

SuperMac's Spectrum/8 (Series II) for the Mac SE/30 will drive the Apple 15"
Portrait Display and it has been shipping for some time now.

Generations X Technologies (408-739-4570) has a board called Publisher '030
that is supposed to drive the 15" Portrait monitor.  Unknown if it's available.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

s160041@castor.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/19/89)

In article <18400@cup.portal.com> Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) writes:
>Todd (& everyone else),

>SuperMac's Spectrum/8 (Series II) for the Mac SE/30 will drive the Apple 15"
>Portrait Display and it has been shipping for some time now.

The problem with the SuperMac card is that it also drives the 19" color
monitors and costs around $1800.  I'll admit that's a good price for
everything it does, but it is not a solution for those of us who
only want to drive an FPD.

>Fabian Ramirez
>SuperMac Technology
>fabian@cup.portal.com
>sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (05/20/89)

Greg,

I wouldn't exactly call that a problem...SuperMac was the first to announce
a full featured, 8-bit video for the Mac SE/30 and felt that a suggested
retail price of $1895 was appropriate for that product.  But I should point
out that here's what other Mac SE/30 video vendors are doing:

Generation X Technologies:

Vision '030A list for $995 and will only drive the Apple 12" or 13" monitor,
and it is supposed to feature virtual desktops with automatic pan and zoom.

Publisher '030 lists for $525.  This is a monochrome (B&W) video card designed
to drive their 19" monochrome monitor and Apple's 15" Portrait and 21" Two-Page
monitors.

RasterOps:

ColorBoard 108+/SE30 list for $1895 and is designed to support their 16" and
19" displays (probably the Trinitrons), as well as Apple's 13" (and presumably
the 12") monitor.  Hardware pan and zoom, extended desktops are standard.

MegaGraphics:

MegaScreen 3008GC lists for $1895 and is designed to support their 19"
Trinitron monitor.

Moniterm:

Viking 21 lists for $5590.  This system consists of a 8-bit video card
and monitor.

E-Machines:

T19 SE/30 lists for $6195 and is an 8-bit video card with their 19" Trinitron.

Z21 SE/30 lists for $2495 and is a 21" monochrome system (card & monitor).

Radius:

Their Two-Page Display (TPD) for the Mac SE/30 lists for $2190.

Hope this information is of some help.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com