[comp.sys.mac] Netiquette Flame

mlwiese@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Wiese) (05/19/89)

As a recent newcomer to the net, I read the info in net.announce.newusers
concerning net usage. Alas, in the few weeks I've been reading this
newsgroup, I've noticed that some people (you know who you are) may need a
refresher.

My main complaint is the excessive volume of postings that are responses to
questions posted by others. Please, please MAIL your answers and let the
person who asked the question post a summary. This will prevent the rest of
us from having to read 5 incomplete explanations of the same problem. This
will also help prevent INCORRECT answers from being read and accepted as
truth by the less expert members of the net.

Thanks,
Mike Wiese

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (05/20/89)

In article <11508@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> mlwiese@athena.mit.edu (Michael L
Wiese) writes:
> My main complaint is the excessive volume of postings that are responses
> questions posted by others. Please, please MAIL your answers and let the
> person who asked the question post a summary.

No, no, no!  The volume is not excessive, and this group functions very
well as a free-for-all forum.  The people who use it are often too busy to
be reliable in posting summaries of their email, but they are very
diligent about correcting any wrong information that appears.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Wow!

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (05/21/89)

>No, no, no!  The volume is not excessive, and this group functions very
>well as a free-for-all forum.  The people who use it are often too busy to
>be reliable in posting summaries of their email, but they are very
>diligent about correcting any wrong information that appears.

I agree!

-Ted