[comp.sys.mac] Rebuilding Desktop...?

nadeem@shire.cs.psu.edu (05/13/89)

I am sure this is a stupid question...  But, how do I build, or
should I say, rebuild the desktop??

Any help will be much appreciated.

cs004004@brunix (Jon Feinberg) (05/13/89)

In article <4580@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> nadeem@shire.cs.psu.edu () writes:

>I am sure this is a stupid question...  But, how do I build, or
>should I say, rebuild the desktop??
>
>Any help will be much appreciated.

Simply restart while holding the command and option keys
down. Keep them down until you get the "Okay to rebuild?"
dialogue. Sit back and listen to your drive make satisfying
crunchy sounds.

Jonathan Feinberg
cs004004@pebbles.cs.brown.edu

jfbrule@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jim Brule) (05/14/89)

In article <4580@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> nadeem@shire.cs.psu.edu () writes:

>I am sure this is a stupid question...  But, how do I build, or
>should I say, rebuild the desktop??

Restart holding down the command key all the way through inits, etc.
You will be given a dialog box asking you to confirm; it's not as long
a process as the box implies.

 ~~~Jim

--
Thirty thousand mighty suns shone down in a soul- *jfbrule@nova.npac.syr.edu
searing splendor that was more frighteningly cold **************************

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) (05/14/89)

In article <6350@brunix.UUCP> cs004004@cslab9d.UUCP (Jon Feinberg) writes:
>In article <4580@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> nadeem@shire.cs.psu.edu writes:
>>
>>I am sure this is a stupid question...  But, how do I build, or
>>should I say, rebuild the desktop??
>
>Simply restart while holding the command and option keys
>down. Keep them down until you get the "Okay to rebuild?"
>dialogue. Sit back and listen to your drive make satisfying
>crunchy sounds.

Technically, you rebuild the Desktop by holding Command and Option down
when you mount a disk from the Finder.  One of the first things the Finder
does when it gains control of the machine is to mount the hard disk you just
booted from; thus, holding down Cmd-Opt as soon as you see the menu bar is
a safe bet.  I wouldn't press them any earlier, like during the boot sequence;
a few INITs and cdevs might be confused by seeing them pressed.  If you want
to rebuild the Desktop on a floppy disk, hold down Command and Option while
you insert the disk.

The Finder mounts all the disks it finds any time control is passed to it;
therefore you don't have to reboot to rebuild the Desktop file on a hard
drive.  Just open an application and quit from it; hold down Cmd-Opt as the
Finder re-loads itself.

But, unless, I'm ignorant of some update to the system software, rebuilding
the Desktop in this manner will also delete all text I have typed in the
bottom of the "Get Info" box for each file.  Very few files these days
actually have any text entered there, but I'd like to keep the little I have.
Is there any way I can rebuild the Desktop without having it toss out
this text?

I know that a similar effect can be had by using the PurgeIcons program that
comes with 1st Aid HFS or by using the "Compact Desktop" option in
DiskExpress, but is there any other, more convenient way?  Is Apple going
to fix this nasty habit of the Finder anytime soon (nudge nudge wink wink)?

--
| Brian S. Kendig                                | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering                           | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (05/16/89)

In article <4580@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> nadeem@shire.cs.psu.edu () writes:
<
<I am sure this is a stupid question...  But, how do I build, or
<should I say, rebuild the desktop??
<
<Any help will be much appreciated.

And what do you see if it happened spontaneously?

After first loading Word 4.0, I was showing someone how to move from one
view to another. I don't remember the exact sequence but when we got back
to galley view there was a strange dotted box in the menu bar. I know it
was to the left of the macromaker icon, but don't remember if it replaced
some other menu title or just slipped in between.

My friend, being the adventurous type wanted me to click it (it was on my
system not hers). The screen went instantly blank, stayed that way for
several minutes, but was obviously writing to disk. Just before I pressed
the reset switch, the bomb appeared (id=10). All of the icons were spaced
further apart and lined up. I guess that happens if you clean up the
desktop too doesn't it? (I never clean up either desktop :-)

Everything has been OK since, so I write it off as an anomoly. I move between
the different views a lot, and this hasn't happened since. Just curious.

Shirley Kehr

John.Jacob@f444.n204.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Jacob) (05/22/89)

All you have to do is hold command-option when your Mac first starts.
Keep holding it down until it asks you if you really want to rebuild the
desktop.  (I think the it is command-option, or something like that)

     +---------------------------------+
                  John Jacob
  InterNet:  John.Jacob@mailcom.fidonet.org
      UUCP:  sun!apple!mailcom!John.Jacob

FidoNet:  1:161/445      UUCP: sun!apple!bmug!<User.Name>
INTERNET:  bmug!<User.Name>@apple.COM or <User.Name>@bmug.fidonet.org
USNAIL:   BMUG, 1442A Walnut St. #62, Berkeley, CA 94709-1496
BMUG Newsletter articles due June 15!  Authors get free membership.
Send articles to:  pub@bmug.fidonet.org