[comp.sys.mac] THINK C 3.0 on a Mac +

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) (05/22/89)

I did it!
It is possible to run THINK C 3.0 with the debugger AND TMON on a 1 M Mac +.
I did the following trick:
- Make an FKEY that contains the trap _ExitToShell as the only instruction
	(with ResEdit)
- Give THINK C as memory 500K, and the debugger 150K.
- Trim down a copy of System 4.2 as much as you dare (minimal fonts, few
	DAs, unneeded resources out)
If you have only two floppies:
- Put your system with your project on one floppy, and THINK with debugger
	and stuff on the other.

Then kill the finder after you started THINK C with your FKEY, and it works
(for me, at least).
--
|                 | "Never image yourself not to be otherwise than what |
| Jurjen N.E. Bos | it might appear to others that what you were or     |

pa1505@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (05/23/89)

In article <8133@boring.cwi.nl> jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) writes:

>I did it!
>It is possible to run THINK C 3.0 with the debugger AND TMON on a 1 M Mac +.
>I did the following trick:
>
>       [procedure described]
>
>--
>|                 | "Never image yourself not to be otherwise than what |
>| Jurjen N.E. Bos | it might appear to others that what you were or     |
>|                 | might have been was not otherwise than what you had |
>|  jurjen@cwi.nl  | been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."  |

I was able to run LSC and the debugger in my 1meg Mac Plus with a
nifty program called Multilaunch.  This is what I did:

Trim down the System file as Jurjen did.  Place Multilaunch in the
System Folder and set it to be the startup application under Finder
(not Multifinder).  Reboot.  Multilaunch will run Multifinder
without the Finder, freeing up about 130K of memory.  At this point
you can launch LSC.

Even after allocating a minimum amount of memory for each
application (LSC, debugger, and the project), I end up with only
about 32K of free memory.

Barry Brown                     |     No signature yet
pa1505@sdcc15.ucsd.edu          |
       - OR -                   |       I'm too lazy
bebrown@ucsd                    |