[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter 6.0 header compatible with generic PostScript printers

mlwiese@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Wiese) (05/07/89)

Good news for those of you trying to include Mac graphic output in other
environments:

I downloaded LaserWriter and LaserPrep version 6.0a6 from AppleLink last week.
I did a "Print Catalog" from the Finder, and saved the output as a PostScript
file by typing command-K immediately after clicking OK. I was going to edit
the appledict header (normally sent to the LW when it is being "initialzed")
to remove LaserWriter specific references so I could print on a DEC LPS40.
First, I sent the file to be printed to see what errors resulted. Much to my
delight, the file printed, with no editing of appledict at all!

And my color icons printed in gray scale.

Mike

rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) (05/23/89)

In article <11174@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> mlwiese@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Wiese) writes:
>I downloaded LaserWriter and LaserPrep version 6.0a6 from AppleLink last week.

Hmm, this driver sounds promising. I wonder if it works with a QMS 800/810
too. At the moment I use MACPS for printing on these machines. Where can I
get these new Laser drivers?

 Ernst.

s160041@castor.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/24/89)

In article <682@eutrc3.UUCP> rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) writes:
>In article <11174@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> mlwiese@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Wiese) writes:
>>I downloaded LaserWriter and LaserPrep version 6.0a6 from AppleLink last week.
>
>Hmm, this driver sounds promising. I wonder if it works with a QMS 800/810
>too. At the moment I use MACPS for printing on these machines. Where can I
>get these new Laser drivers?
>
> Ernst.
>   >

LaserWriter 6.0 is part of the "Apple Color Disk" that contains the
necessary patch files for 32-Bit Quickdraw as well as LaserWriter 6.0.
LaserWriter 6.0 supports color PostScript devices, more paper sizes (e.g.
#10 envelope) and faster access to fonts on hard disks connected to
LaserWriters.  The Apple Color Disk (final version -- no longer alpha-6) is
available on AppleLink and should be availble from authorized dealers,
Apple Support Coordinators and authorized electronic sources (e.g.
CompuServe).  I'm not sure how long disk duplication and distribution`
will take, I would allow a week or so.

Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (05/25/89)

In article <682@eutrc3.UUCP> rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) writes:
>In article <11174@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> mlwiese@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Wiese) writes:
>>I downloaded LaserWriter and LaserPrep version 6.0a6 from AppleLink last week.
>
>Hmm, this driver sounds promising. I wonder if it works with a QMS 800/810
>too. At the moment I use MACPS for printing on these machines. Where can I
>get these new Laser drivers?

Hmm, we've been using the LaserWriter drivers that came with 6.0.2 to
drive a QMS PS800-II with no problems for a couple of months.
--

                                               - Scott