[comp.sys.mac] LQ Exchange Report

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/22/89)

After six or seven weeks, I finally received my replacement
LQ last week. It appears to be an entirely new one (not
rebuilt though I'm not sure how easy it is to tell). I
haven't tested it extensively but it seems not to screw
up at the top of the page like my old one did. It isn't
exactly less noisy; what they've apparently done is to
change the frequencies in which the noise is distributed
somewhat. From memory, the whining sound the LQ makes as
it prints, especially in its best mode, is a little bit
lower-pitched and thus a little bit less annoying. But
the sound is still pretty annoying so it isn't a dramatic
improvement.

The main difference visible in the printer is the paper
separator which comes installed and stays in the printer
regardless of paper path. The printer also comes with
a HyperCard stack to explain the paper-path options;
unfortunately it won't run without a later version of
HyperCard than I currently have.

One interesting anomaly: when I reinstalled my AppleTalk
Option card, I noticed that two of the dip switches were
in a different position than shown in the manual. One was
switch 8 on block SW2. The self-test states that this
switch toggles the precise position to which the paper is
loaded after printing. The other, however, is switch 8 on
block SW3. The LQ AppleTalk Option manual gives a warning,
"Do not adjust DIP switch block SW3 yourself. Only authorized
Apple dealer technicians should adjust SW3." Does anyone out
there know what this switch block controls and why switch 8
is shown as up (open) in the manual but was set down (closed)
by Apple? I figure that if Apple wants to protect me from
myself, they should either set the switches as described or
explain why they didn't.

Steve Goldfield

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (05/25/89)

In article <24696@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>haven't tested it extensively but it seems not to screw
>up at the top of the page like my old one did. It isn't

We're still waiting for ours.  The problem we have at the top of the
page is that when you go to print using manual feed (in Word), unless
you have a top margin of like 0 in, it will leave extra space at the
top.  Likewise down at the bottom -- it's as if the whole page is
shifted up an inch or so.  (No prob with auto feed, though).

Do you mean to say that it still does this?!  _PLEASE_ don't say yes.
--

                                               - Scott

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/25/89)

In article <8666@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) writes:
#>In article <24696@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
#>>haven't tested it extensively but it seems not to screw
#>>up at the top of the page like my old one did. It isn't
#>
#>We're still waiting for ours.  The problem we have at the top of the
#>page is that when you go to print using manual feed (in Word), unless
#>you have a top margin of like 0 in, it will leave extra space at the
#>top.  Likewise down at the bottom -- it's as if the whole page is
#>shifted up an inch or so.  (No prob with auto feed, though).
#>
#>Do you mean to say that it still does this?!  _PLEASE_ don't say yes.
#>--
#>
#>                                               - Scott

Sorry I can't answer these. I don't use Word because I can't
stand it (3.0), and I don't use manual feed on the LQ because
I have a laserprinter. I just printed out a couple of test
files. I mainly use the LQ to print continuous labels.

However, you might check the dip switch I mentioned (no. 8
on block 2) which controls where the paper is positioned
after printing. Your problem may also be caused by Word;
I don't know how it controls top margins. I think you're
going to have to wait for your LQ and answer the questions
yourself.

Steve Goldfield