[comp.sys.mac] SuitcaseII vs. MasterJuggler

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (04/16/89)

I'm deciding whether to purchase SuitcaseII or MasterJuggler, and would
like some info on them, as funds for this are limited to one or the other.

I have had a chance to play with SuitcaseII for a while, but not with
MasterJuggler, or its predecesors.

One thing I noticed, is that I was unable to open any sound files with
SuitcaseII, though sounds installed in the System could be sampled.  I
would prefer to be able to store my sounds in "suitcases" rather than in
the System, so this is quasi important to me.  (Until I purchase my own
Mac, I'll be stuck with 1Meg machines; too large a System will be
cripleing; the ability to easily change my default "beep" while still
keeping the System file relatively small is a very nice perk.)  Can
SuitcaseII open sound files?  Can MasterJuggler?

(As a sidenote, I've heard something lately about a Sound/FKey mover a al
Font/DA mover; do the sounds have to be in a Sound/FKey mover document for
SuitcaseII to recognise them?  Where can I get this program if so?  Is it
3rd party, shareware/freeware, etc.?)

Thanks for any info on this.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.          "Entropy isn't what it used to be."
jhc@Crnlvax5.BITNET            --c/o Fortune @ batcomputer.UUCP

newman@ut-emx.UUCP (Dave Newman) (04/17/89)

You ask about Suitcase II and MasterJuggler.  I have Suitcase II, and
a friend has MasterJuggler.  He is converting to Suitcase II for reasons
that are unknown to me, but he says Suitcase II is a much better product.

As for the Sound and FKey movers, you are looking for the programs called
Sound Mover and FKey Manager respectively.  I believe that they are on the
SUMEX archives or on CIS since I have them, and those are the two main places
that I get such things.

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (04/17/89)

In article <7755@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
> I'm deciding whether to purchase SuitcaseII or MasterJuggler, and would
> like some info on them, as funds for this are limited to one or the other.

	I own both products and have settled on SuitcaseII for a number of
reasons.  when I first got MasterJuggler (v1.0 at Boston '88) I was quite
impressed with the MANY features that it offered.  It combined the features
of not only Suitcase (and then some) but also of SoundMaster, OnCue and a
couple of other utilties.  Since I had the memory I was willing to give it
the memory it needed to accomplish that task UNTIL I installed it and went to
open all of my suitcases (Fonts, DA, etc.) only to discover that when opening
file number 13, I got an error message telling me it could not open moore than
12 files.  No problem, I thought, Suitcase had a setting as to how many files
it could open, so I figured so did MJ and I'd just change it.  Read through the
docs, nothing.  Finally called their TechSupport and was told that 12 files was
a HARD CODED MAX and that was that and they had no intention of changing it.
Well MJ went bye bye from my hard disk and has not returned.  I am very content
with SuitcaseII, not only for that reason but also because SCII allows me to
change open suitcases.  This means if you want to add/remove FONTs/DA, etc. from
a suitcase you have open, you don't have to first close it (like you do with
MJ) - you just make the changes.  VERY NICE!!

> One thing I noticed, is that I was unable to open any sound files with
> SuitcaseII, though sounds installed in the System could be sampled.  I
> would prefer to be able to store my sounds in "suitcases" rather than in
> the System, so this is quasi important to me.  (Until I purchase my own
> Mac, I'll be stuck with 1Meg machines; too large a System will be
> cripleing; the ability to easily change my default "beep" while still
> keeping the System file relatively small is a very nice perk.)  Can
> SuitcaseII open sound files?  Can MasterJuggler?

	You were probably not doing it correctly.  All of my sounds are
stored in a file called (appropriately enough) 'mySnds' which SuitcaseII is
nice enough to load for me.  You need to use the 'Open Any File' option to
get it to find your snd file (or it needs to be a special type, which I forget
and the former is easier anyway!).  You can also keep multiple sound files if
you really want :-)

> (As a sidenote, I've heard something lately about a Sound/FKey mover a al
> Font/DA mover; do the sounds have to be in a Sound/FKey mover document for
> SuitcaseII to recognise them?  Where can I get this program if so?  Is it
> 3rd party, shareware/freeware, etc.?)

	I believe there are programs(note the s) called Sound Mover and FKEY
Mover that do what you want.  Sound Mover is part of the SoundPackage by the
same guy who did IBeep (forget his name).  FKEY Mover was done by Carlos ???
many moons ago and is supposedly no longer compatible with current O.S./MF.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (04/17/89)

In article <7755@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>,
cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:

> One thing I noticed, is that I was unable to open any sound files with
> SuitcaseII, though sounds installed in the System could be sampled.  I would
> prefer to be able to store my sounds in "suitcases" rather than in the
> System, so this is quasi important to me. ... Can SuitcaseII open sound
> Files?  Can MasterJuggler?

Both products can open files containing 'snd ' resources.  Suitcase II's file
selection dialog will show files having the file type codes 'Smg2' (created
by The Sound Man utility) and 'SFIL' (created by the Sound Mover utility,
which is a shareware product included on the Suitcase II product disk by
Sound Mover's author's permission).  If the file has another type code, the
"Show all file types" checkbox in Suitcase II's file selection dialog will
allow you to open it.

> Until I purchase my own Mac, I'll be stuck with 1Meg machines; too large a
> System will be cripleing; the ability to easily change my default "beep"
> while still keeping the System file relatively small is a very nice perk.

There is no direct relation between the size of the System file and RAM
usage.  The advantages of keeping resources in suitcase files rather than in
the System file are flexibility and convenience, not reduced RAM usage.  The
System file is not read into RAM as a whole; it is a disk repository of
resources which are read into RAM as they are used, and remain in RAM only
while they are used.  The same is true of suitcase files.

I am the author of Suitcase II.
--

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (04/19/89)

I have only used Suitcase II, so I cannot discuss both sides of the issue.

BUT, in addition to being a great program, Suitcase II has the *best*
documentation of any program I have ever bought.  It is thorough, going
*way* beyond the minimum it could have settled for--actually making it
a textbook on fonts, NFNTs, sounds, and so on.  It even describes problems
that are pretty much unrelated to Suitcase (PM 2.0 and MultiFinder, SuperPaint
and many fonts, etc.)

Maybe Juggler has this as well--others can comment--but the manual is a
feature that usually doesn't make it into feature-comparison charts.

Congratulations Steve!

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (05/08/89)

In article <11331@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <7755@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
>> I'm deciding whether to purchase SuitcaseII or MasterJuggler, and would
>> like some info on them, as funds for this are limited to one or the other.
>> Can SuitcaseII open sound files?  Can MasterJuggler?

Yes, MasterJuggler can open sound files, along with font, da, and fkey files.

>> (As a sidenote, I've heard something lately about a Sound/FKey mover a al
>> Font/DA mover; do the sounds have to be in a Sound/FKey mover document for
>> SuitcaseII to recognise them?  Where can I get this program if so?  Is it
>> 3rd party, shareware/freeware, etc.?)
>>
>	I believe there are programs(note the s) called Sound Mover and FKEY
>Mover that do what you want.

It sounds like you are refering to the "FKey/Sound Mover" program that comes
with MasterJuggler.  It seems to work with any resource file, not just the ones
it creates.  The package also has a utility for converting sound files to snd
resources.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Stuard) (05/09/89)

In article <4016@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) writes:
> In article <11331@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> >In article <7755@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
> >> I'm deciding whether to purchase SuitcaseII or MasterJuggler, and would
> >> like some info on them, as funds for this are limited to one or the other.

another question about Master Juggler.  Does it colide with many other inits
I have had a problem with Suitcase coliding with other inits and causing
problems.
--
 Deviant  disclaimer: OOP! ACK! DON'T PANIC, It's not that important anyhow.
                  /-> mstuard @ ace.cs.OHIOU.EDU

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (05/10/89)

In article <583@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU
(Mike Stuard) writes:

> I have had a problem with Suitcase coliding with other inits and causing
> problems.

Couuld you elaborate?  Suitcase or Suitcase II?  Which INITs?, and which version?  Which other
INITs?

jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (J Houghtaling) (05/11/89)

In article <11606@well.UUCP>, brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) writes:

> In article <583@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU
> (Mike Stuard) writes:
>
> > I have had a problem with Suitcase coliding with other inits and causing
> > problems.
>
> Could you elaborate?  Suitcase or Suitcase II?  Which INITs?
> and which version?  Which other INITs?
>
> I am the author of Suitcase II.

I, personally, have had problems when Suitcase II loads before SuperClock!
Version 3.1.

joe houghtaling                     |   procrastination is the

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/11/89)

>> I have had a problem with Suitcase coliding with other inits and causing
>> problems.

I use Suitcase along with a dozen other inits of all sorts. Suitcase hasn't
complained even once. I use Suitcase II now, but also used Suitcase I. My
biggest complaint with Suitcase II is its user interface--ugh!

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (05/11/89)

In article <1834@leah.Albany.Edu> jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (J Houghtaling) writes:
[...]
>> > I have had a problem with Suitcase coliding with other inits and causing
>> > problems.
>>
>> Could you elaborate?  Suitcase or Suitcase II?  Which INITs?
>> and which version?  Which other INITs?
>>
>> I am the author of Suitcase II.
>
>I, personally, have had problems when Suitcase II loads before SuperClock!
>Version 3.1.

I have ALWAYS been using SuperClock 3.1 and Suitcase II together with
Suitcase loaded first, and have no problem with it whatsoever.

As a matter of fact, Suitcase is about the second or third init that get
loaded among the fourteen or fifteen inits I have ( I recently trimmed
them down a bit since I got tired of waiting for that many inits to load).
And SuperClock is among the last few to load.

Could it be that some of your other inits conflict with SuperClock ?

Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (J Houghtaling) (05/12/89)

You're right; I just rearranged the INIT names and it runs fine.  I wonder
which combination was crashing me?  I'll check; there definitely was some
conflict.

joe houghtaling                         |  procrastination is the
the state university of newyor        |  art of keeping
at albany                               |  up with yesterday

flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (05/12/89)

In article <1834@leah.Albany.Edu> jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (J Houghtaling) writes:
>In article <11606@well.UUCP>, brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) writes:
>>
>> In article <583@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, mstuard@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU
>> (Mike Stuard) writes:
>>
>> > I have had a problem with Suitcase coliding with other inits and causing
>> > problems.

Me, never, and I like weird INITs.  (Mac II, 4 bit color, System a
combination of 6.02 and 6.03, Suitcase II & 1) Of course, it could
just be that I blame anything else rather than Suitcase.
From: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
Portal,MacNet: FlashsMom

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (05/13/89)

In article <1867@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
[..]
>I use Suitcase along with a dozen other inits of all sorts. Suitcase hasn't
>complained even once. I use Suitcase II now, but also used Suitcase I. My
>biggest complaint with Suitcase II is its user interface--ugh!
>
>--
>Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst

Kidding!  I don't want to incur much flame on saying this.  But,
Suitcase II's interface is so elegant !!!  Have you ever seen the BIG
and all-encompassing window that MasterJuggler forces to you to face
????  The author of Suitcase II did a good job by keeping the sub-dialog
boxes (for open inspect, show, settings .. etc) within the confines of
its root dialog box, which only occupies less than half of the screen even
on the Plus's 9-inch moniter.  Well, MasterJuggler also keeps all of its
dialog boxes within the confines of it's root dialog box, BUT the root
dialog box already covers the entire screen.

-EOF-

t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (05/13/89)

In article <13473@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) writes:

>Kidding!  I don't want to incur much flame on saying this.  But,
>Suitcase II's interface is so elegant !!!  Have you ever seen the BIG
>and all-encompassing window that MasterJuggler forces to you to face
>????

(stuf deleted)

True it does use a large window in the main panel, BUT you only have to use
that when setting things up. I use MasterJuggler constantly and almost never
have to bring up the mail panel, maybe once a week or less.

I have heard a lot of support for Suitcase and not much for MJ. I'd like to
put in a good word for the Juggler. It does have the shortcomming of not being
able to open very many files. For me that is no problem, I keep all my common
DA's in a DA file and all my Sounds in a Sound file etc. So I have 4 files
open. This leaves me plenty of space for new files I want to try out and if I
like them then I install them in their respective files.

What I like the most about MJ is the Hot Keys to bring scrolling lists up of
Applications, DA's, Fkeys, Fonts, and Sounds. It also allows me to do the same
things that On Que does, pop up a heir-menu of applications with documents
belonging to the applications as sub menus. It also allows me to popup a menu
of the current applications windows that I can switch to.

MasterJuggler is very good at resolving resource ID conflicts. It also comes
with a number of resource installer utilities.

One last comment on the negative side. MJ seems to have a conflict with the
hierDA init. I don't know whos fault it really is but when MJ is running the
sub menus in the Control Panel don't take you to the item when the panel comes
up. Not real serious, but I wish it wouldn't do that.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (05/25/89)

In article <1807@wasatch.utah.edu> t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>One last comment on the negative side. MJ seems to have a conflict with the
>hierDA init. I don't know whos fault it really is but when MJ is running the
>sub menus in the Control Panel don't take you to the item when the panel comes
>up. Not real serious, but I wish it wouldn't do that.

I am using both MasterJuggler (V 1.13) and HierDA (V 0.9967), and I have no
problem accessing the Control Panel submenu.  Maybe there is some other
conflict?

*

lauac@haida.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/26/89)

In article <4065@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> phssra@emory.UUCP (Scott Robert Anderson) writes:
>In article <1807@wasatch.utah.edu> t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>>One last comment on the negative side. MJ seems to have a conflict with the
>>hierDA init. I don't know whos fault it really is but when MJ is running the
>>sub menus in the Control Panel don't take you to the item when the panel comes
>>up. Not real serious, but I wish it wouldn't do that.
>
>I am using both MasterJuggler (V 1.13) and HierDA (V 0.9967), and I have no
>problem accessing the Control Panel submenu.  Maybe there is some other
>conflict?

>  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra

There is a new version of hierDA (pronounced "here-duh" :-))
out by the author, version 0.9976. (as opposed to 0.9967).

This fixes problems with Master Juggler and Font/DA Juggler.
However, it has been renamed "DA Menuz" in order to load
BEFORE Font/DA Juggler, so as to reduce the chances of
problems and bombs.

I'm not at my Mac, so I can't quite upload it. I'm sure
someone else can and will.

--- Alex
Standard disclaimers apply.
Standard .signature not available.
Standard sarcasm applies.
Offer void where inapplicable.
I wonder if Pnews will accept my posting by now...