[comp.sys.mac] LSP 2.0 Upgrade: Is it worth it?

bruceh@mntgfx.mentor.com (Bruce Holm) (05/25/89)

-----

I still have LSP v1.11.  I am aware that the current version is 2.01.
I am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it (~$49 + s/h).

I am not a hard core programmer.  I have a Mac plus with 2M of RAM
and a 40M hard disk.  A while back Rich Siegal gave the following
list of enhancements:

	"New and enhanced features of version 2.0 include: a fast, multipass
  optimizing compiler which produces compact, commercial-quality code; Object
  Pascal support; increased editor flexibility for virtually unlimited program
  size; and enhanced source-level debugger; and language extensions for
  improved compatibility with Apple's Macintosh Programmer's Workshop (MPW)
  Pascal."

fast compiler...good, but I didn't find 1.11 slow.
commercial-quality code...don't plan to sell my programs.
Object Pascal support...what does this do for me?
unlimited program size...good, but haven't run into the limit with 1.11, yet.
enhanced source-level debugger...what kind of enhancements?
language extensions for use with MPW Pascal...don't deal with MPW Pascal, don't have it.

So if this is all that the upgrade buys me, then I have serious doubts as to
the need to upgrade.  I would like those of you who have LSP 2.0 to please
respond to me if you have an opinion of if the upgrade would be worth it
for someone in my situation.  If there are features that are not mentioned
above (and hence I don't know about them), I'd like to hear about them.

Send e-mail or postings to USENET.

Thanks,
--Bruce Holm

--
** These are my opinions, & not necessarily those of Mentor Graphics Corp. **
Bruce Holm, Design/Analysis Div. /  (503) 626-7000

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (05/25/89)

In article <1989May24.123418.5967@mntgfx.mentor.com> bruceh@mntgfx.mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>-----
>
>I still have LSP v1.11.  I am aware that the current version is 2.01.
>I am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it (~$49 + s/h).

	In addition to that which I've mentioned, I might add that Lightspeed
Pascal 2.0 also works correctly on newer machines and under MultiFinder; the
code generator is more reliable, and  the runtime libraries are much improved
in performance and reliability. The Toolbox interfaces are up to date with
respect to MPW Pascal 2.02, which means they include the routines up to
and including Inside Mac volume 5.

	The Pascal extensions aren't for "use" with MPW Pascal, they're
for compatibility. The extensions include such features as LHS typecasting,
function result qualification, EXIT, CYCLE, LEAVE, constant expressions,
and short-circuit Boolean operators. These features are useful even if
you don't use MPW Pascal.

	The new source debugger adds the ability (in LightsBug) to display
variables symbolically, rather than in hex, and to explode structured and
pointer-based types to view their contents symbolically.

	The manual's also been rewritten, and includes more information
and demo programs.

	IMHO, $49 isn't a whole lot to ask, considering what you get.

		--Rich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 "She told me to make myself comfortable, so I pulled down my pants
 and sat in the pudding." -Emo Phillips
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/25/89)

In article <1989May24.123418.5967@mntgfx.mentor.com> bruceh@mntgfx.mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>-----
>I still have LSP v1.11.  I am aware that the current version is 2.01.
>I am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it (~$49 + s/h).

>So if this is all that the upgrade buys me, then I have serious doubts as to
>the need to upgrade.  I would like those of you who have LSP 2.0 to please
>respond to me if you have an opinion of if the upgrade would be worth it

OK. Me & my friends have used LSP 1.11 and are now using LSP 2.01 here at
the R.I.T. LSP 1.11 was buggy, bombed a lot, supported only IM I-III, had
some kludgy solutions, generated STUUUPIIIID code and generally was a pain
in the *ss (OK, THINK technologies, that's MY opinion. It's a free world
after all !) LSP 2.01 is much more reasonable, supports IM I-V (Yeah!
that's up to and including system 4.2 ...) doesn't bomb THAT often, has
smoother debugging (subjective) and still generates STUPID code
(i.e. a ask for a char from an odd address, the compiler fetches the
WHOLE WORD -- odd address exception !) and it also has some signed/unsigned
incompatibility with LSP 1.11, but the transition 1.11 -> 2.01 is fairly
easy. I would pay the $49. I mean, it's not more than you would spend on
a night out with your girl friend (at least here in Sweden, where every-
thing is SOOOO expensive) and that night you'll probably spend discovering
the new features in 2.01 :-)

I would go for it (I already have, as mentioned above)

--
h+@nada.kth.se  <>,,     Picture this recording studio somewhere far far away
Jon W{tte      (:))))=-  Brrrrreeeee, you bugger! (Piano in)

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (05/26/89)

In article <1931@husc6.harvard.edu>, siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) writes...
 >In article <1989May24.123418.5967@mntgfx.mentor.com> bruceh@mntgfx.mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>>I still have LSP v1.11.  I am aware that the current version is 2.01.
>>I am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it (~$49 + s/h).

[Rich outlines numerous features of LSP 2.x]

>	IMHO, $49 isn't a whole lot to ask, considering what you get.
>
>		--Rich

Rich basically outlined all the cool new features, as well as the needed
updating, so I won't mention that.  But subjectively, I can tell you that there
is a _big_ improvement from LSP 1.x to 2.x.  LightsBug in 2.x is really awesome
and makes debugging a lot easier (even if you do need to break out TMON once in
awhile).  MultiFinder compatibility is really nice if you have more than 1 meg.
Basically the entire interface -- which was a bit dated -- has been updated
(can you say "zoom box"? :->).  All in all it makes coding easier and more
pleasant than under 1.x.

It would be $49 well spent.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine
------
MOFO knows!

dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (05/26/89)

from a non hard-programmer:
LSP 2.0 is worth every penny.  it is absolutely the best compiler i have
every used.  blows turbo out of the water in every way.  i'm not sure i'd be
completely happy about paying the upgrade fee (i bought mine for $66) but it
is worth it.

LSP 2.0 has too many great features to list here, but after using 1.11 for a
class, i could appreciate 2.0 a lot.  how would you like to use cursor keys
to edit your program?  or click on the top part of a window and get a popup
menu of all the procedure and functions?

again, $49 is not bad at all, considering what you get.

daniel carr

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (05/26/89)

In article <1091@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>(i.e. a ask for a char from an odd address, the compiler fetches the
>WHOLE WORD -- odd address exception !) and it also has some signed/unsigned

	The "char" data type is two bytes, not one. Thus, the whole-word
fetch. Use "SignedByte" if you want one-byte size.

		--Rich