[comp.sys.mac] Remote Bridge at full Appletalk speed?

lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/16/89)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a Appletalk bridge that supports speeds of
over 19.2 K baud.  We are going to be running our existing Appletalk
network to a remote site over a microwave link and it would be nice to not
bottleneck the Appletalk system with a 19.2K baud modem bridge.  Actually,
something that support the full 230K baud would be preferred.

Thanks

Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (05/17/89)

In article <4316@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) writes:
> I was wondering if anyone knew of a Appletalk bridge that supports speeds of
> over 19.2 K baud.  We are going to be running our existing Appletalk
> network to a remote site over a microwave link and it would be nice to not
> bottleneck the Appletalk system with a 19.2K baud modem bridge.  Actually,
> something that support the full 230K baud would be preferred.

Hmmm.  I haven't seen any asynch-based half-bridges that will push bits
anywhere near that fast... async runs out of steam at about 56
kbits/sec, and the fastest halfbridges I've seen mentioned don't seem to
run their serial ports at over 19200 bits/sec.

If your microwave link has a _very_ high bandwidth, I suppose you could
use a Kinetics FastPath (KFPS-4 perhaps) at either end of the link, and
push bits across the bridge at EtherNet speeds.  At 10 megabits/second,
I doubt that the bridge-to-bridge protocol would be the bottleneck!

I suppose what you really need is a LocalTalk halfbridge that talks T-1
speeds between the halfbridges... T-1 microwave links are (I'm pretty
sure) an off-the-shelf item, and the bandwidth of a T-1 link exceeds
that of a LocalTalk net by a comfortable margin.  I haven't heard of any
such halfbridges, though.  Maybe a pair of FastPaths, plus a pair of T-1
EtherNet half-bridges?  Not cheap, I'm afraid.

At last January's MacWorld Expo in San Francisco, I saw a company
offering a digital-packet-radio-based LocalTalk bridge.  Range was about
4 miles, as I recall... cost was in the $5000 range for a pair of
transceivers.  I didn't save the literature, I'm afraid.

--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

s160041@castor.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/18/89)

In article <25063@coherent.com> dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:
>In article <4316@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> I write:
>> I was wondering if anyone knew of a Appletalk bridge that supports speeds of
>> over 19.2 K baud.  We are going to be running our existing Appletalk
>> network to a remote site over a microwave link and it would be nice to not
>> bottleneck the Appletalk system with a 19.2K baud modem bridge.

>I suppose what you really need is a LocalTalk halfbridge that talks T-1
>speeds between the halfbridges... T-1 microwave links are (I'm pretty
>sure) an off-the-shelf item, and the bandwidth of a T-1 link exceeds
>that of a LocalTalk net by a comfortable margin.  I haven't heard of any
>such halfbridges, though.  Maybe a pair of FastPaths, plus a pair of T-1
>EtherNet half-bridges?  Not cheap, I'm afraid.

This is exactly what I want... a direct AppleTalk to T-1 link.  There is a
product called Vitalink that provides an EtherTalk to T-1 connection.  But
then I need something like this:

     LocalTalk -->  FastPath --> EtherTalk --> VitaLink --> T1

     T1 --> VitaLink --> EtherTalk --> FastPath --> LocalTalk

While this solves the problem it involves the additional expense of
ethernet cables, Kinetics FastPaths (or equivalent) and the Vitalink boxes.

---------------
Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (05/26/89)

I've no easy answer to the question "How do you connect LocalTalk to T1?"

My answer is a little easier than the one given, though. Instead of connecting
the VitaLink to a Kinetics, why not connect it to a Mac with an EtherTalk
card running Liason? If you are on a Mac II-level machine, you should be able
to handle lots of traffic and still use the machine productively.

If you wait for June 12, you can buy the software bridge from Apple.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)