[comp.sys.mac] The Brute-Force method of copy protection

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/18/89)

In article <616@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> csachs@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Colin Sachs) writes:
>I am seeking information regarding any software package which would
>allow one to keep people from copying software from a hard disk on
>a Macintosh computer.  Tall order, I know, but my "boss" wants me to
>check into the possibility of one existing.  Any information relating
>to such a program would be appreciated.  Please e-mail directly to me.

The System and the Finder both control file odds and ends.  There's got to be
some code in there somewhere that controls copying files.

Therefore, isn't it possible to patch the System and/or Finder to either remove
or alter the code that allows copying files?  I'm not familiar with the way
that the Macintosh file manager is laid out, but I think that it would be at
least possible to make the Finder cease to recognize drag-copying - so when
you attempt to drag an application to your disk, nothing happens (the file
is not copied).

I know that here at Princeton, at least, a brain-damaged System might be
useful.  If the System didn't know how to copy files, then people who use
public Macs couldn't put stuff on, or copy stuff off, them.  Of course, they
wouldn't be able to drag-copy their papers from the hard drive to their
floppies, either - so they just open the file with their favorite word
processor and use "Save As...", assuming they didn't have enough foresight to
put the document on their floppy in the first place.

Sure, this copy protection scheme can be circumvented, but it might just be
a workable deterrent to blatant copying.

Has this approach been tried before?  How difficult would it be to implement?

--
| Brian S. Kendig         /\ +----+ /\ of Power | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering   / Triforces! \ Courage | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

ih@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Harries) (05/19/89)

In article <8505@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

>In article <616@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> csachs@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Colin Sachs) writes:

>> [request for hard disk copy-protection]
>
>  [suggestion about the System and the Finder ]

I have implemented the following 'copy-protection' on our AppleShare servers -

compile the following LightSpeed C launcher program

main() {
       Launch(0, "\pMacWrite");     /* for instance */
       }

then give the program the same OwnerName and ICN# as the program to be
launched. Put the launcher in the same folder, make the original program
invisible and there you are ! People can copy the tiny launcher to their
heart's content - and much good may it do them. A further sophistication (?)
would be to stuff the original program with unused resources until it is
too large to fit onto a floppy.

I realise that my method requires some knowledge of the use of ResEdit.

(Also that AppleShare 2.0 supposedly provides an 'execute non-copiable'
 option !)

hope this might be useful ...

  Ian Harries                                   Department of Computing
  MicroComputer Support Officer                 Imperial College
                                                180 Queen's Gate
  Janet: ih@uk.ac.ic.doc                        London SW7 2BZ
  DARPA: ih%doc.ic.ac.uk                        United Kingdom
  Uucp:  ih@icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!ih            Tel: +44 1 589 5111 x5052

8325499@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz (Gilbert Taylor-Wood) (05/26/89)

From article <8505@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig):
>In article <616@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> csachs@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Colin Sachs) writes:
> >I am seeking information regarding any software package which would
> >allow one to keep people from copying software from a hard disk on
> >a Macintosh computer.  Tall order, I know, but my "boss" wants me to
> >check into the possibility of one existing.  Any information relating
> >to such a program would be appreciated.  Please e-mail directly to me.
>
>The System and the Finder both control file odds and ends.  There's got to be
>some code in there somewhere that controls copying files.

The simplest hack is to use ResEdit to add a one meg lump of junk to the
resource fork of the applications you wish to protect. That way they are
too big to be copied to a floppy disk.
This does require a fair amount of disk space though, and fairly dumb users :-).

Regards
    Gilbert
---
Gilbert Taylor-Wood