[comp.sys.mac] System 7.0 Q & A, e-mail builtin

nishri@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Alex Nishri) (05/26/89)

In some of the press I have read on System 7.0, there was a hint that some
elements of e-mail might be standardized by inclusion in the Mac OS.  One
article I read had a picture which seemed to show a mail folder as part of the
Mac OS.

Does this mean that Apple will be defining a new Appletalk e-mail transfer
protocol (ie analogous TCP/IP SMTP)?  What about mail content protocols?

Could someone who attended the developer's conference or someone from Apple
comment?

Alex Nishri
nishri@utcs.utoronto.ca

jln@accuvax.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (05/26/89)

In article <1989May25.221935.2551@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> nishri@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Alex Nishri) writes:
>In some of the press I have read on System 7.0, there was a hint that some
>elements of e-mail might be standardized by inclusion in the Mac OS.  One
>article I read had a picture which seemed to show a mail folder as part of the
>Mac OS.
>
>Does this mean that Apple will be defining a new Appletalk e-mail transfer
>protocol (ie analogous TCP/IP SMTP)?  What about mail content protocols?
>
>Could someone who attended the developer's conference or someone from Apple
>comment?

I was at the conference.  No mail programs or protocols were announced (or
if they were, I missed them).  This was mentioned as a possible extension
to the Finder, using the new features in the System 7.0 Finder for such
extensions.  No details were available at the conference on how such
extensions will work, but presumably the details will be made available
later.  If Apple is working on such a mail product, they evidently aren't
ready to talk about it yet.

John Norstad      jln@acns.nwu.edu