[comp.sys.mac] Wanted: fast way to toggle Monochro

hirchert@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (05/24/89)

Larry Baum (lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP) asks:
>I find it a bit cumbersome that to switch from Color (256 Grays) to
>Black & White (2 grays) I have to bring up the control panel, choose Monitors,
>then click two different buttons and close the control panel.  Does anyone know of
>a simple INIT, DA or FKEY that will toggle back and forth between the 2 via a
>simple keyclick or other one-step action.

The Switch-A-Roo FKEY will toggle you between two color settings.  In
particular, you can set it up to toggle two 2-color and 256-color mode.
As I remember, it was written by someone at Apple, but distributed through the
usual PD software channels.

Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (05/25/89)

In article <46100303@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> hirchert@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Larry Baum (lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP) asks:
>The Switch-A-Roo FKEY will toggle you between two color settings.  In
>particular, you can set it up to toggle two 2-color and 256-color mode.
>As I remember, it was written by someone at Apple, but distributed through the
>usual PD software channels.

The Switch-A-Roo FKEY is now part of Screen Gems, a commercial utility package.
The old version was SW or PD; I don't think there are any differences
(except for the copyright) between the PD/SW version and the commercial one.

Screen Gems is a nice package of color utilities. Dimmer is the best screen
dimmer for the Mac II. ColorDesk lets you have any PICT on the desktop.

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (05/26/89)

>I asked:
>I find it a bit cumbersome that to switch from Color (256 Grays) to
>Black & White (2 grays) I have to bring up the control panel, choose Monitors,
>then click two different buttons and close the control panel.  Does anyone know of
>a simple INIT, DA or FKEY that will toggle back and forth between the 2 via a
>simple keyclick or other one-step action.

Thanks to all who told me about Switcheroo.

Please, no more responses!

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (05/26/89)

Well, get the earlier version of Switch-A-Roo, and I quote:

	Switch-A-Roo is a FREE fkey design to
	quickly toggle all your monitors
	between any two modes.  Select a video
	board from the Switch A box, and then
	select any mode from the Switch B box.....

The free version is available on SUMEX:

<info-mac>fkey>switch-a-roo12.hqx

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies