[comp.sys.mac] Anyone know a better way to do this?

davidp@skat.usc.edu (David Peterson) (05/27/89)

When you get a system bomb, can't you press the interrupt switch, enter some
code (G xxxx or ES, or something like that) and get back to the finder?

The machine crashed when trying to mount an AppleShare volume; didn't give me
a system bomb window or anything, just stopped working. I pressed the interrupt
switch and entered ES, and E S neither of which did anything. I tried G alone
and that hung the machine again, pressed the interrupt again and tried G 123456
and this did drop me back to the finder (I think it restarted the finder is
what it did) but it "broke" the chooser and telnet (I was using telnet at the
time).  When I called the chooser again what came on the screen was the DragBar
(window title, whatever you call it), the three selection areas and the place
where you enter your user name. It worked fine, just looked wierd, kind of like
a plexiglass chooser. Telnet hung after showing me the window about NCSA,
nothing spectacular. I did a real reset then, and they both worked fine after
that

Does anyone know the correct address to get you back to the finder without
"breaking" anything?

Thanks,
-dave.
davidp@skat.usc.edu

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (05/27/89)

In article <17453@usc.edu> davidp@skat.usc.edu (David Peterson) writes:
>When you get a system bomb, can't you press the interrupt switch, enter some
>code (G xxxx or ES, or something like that) and get back to the finder?

[ Details > /dev/null ]

>Does anyone know the correct address to get you back to the finder without
>"breaking" anything?
>
>Thanks,
>-dave.
>davidp@skat.usc.edu

  The "proper" way to return to the Finder from the internal debugger is to
type sm 0 a9f4 <return>
     g 0 <return>
  If you're using MacsBug, you can ES to return to the Finder, or RB to
reboot the machine.

  The problem is that when the system bombs, a lot of the memory may have
been corrupted, so your best bet is probably to reboot anyway...

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@{sol,caen}.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             | Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            909 Church St
"These are MY opinions." (My       |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
 Actually, they don't really care  |
 what I think.  But President      |   This space intentionally left blank.
 Duderstadt does...)               |