--
From: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
Portal,MacNet: FlashsMom

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (05/19/89)

In article <991@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> @nsfnet-relay.ac.uk:flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) writes:

>The QuicKeys upgrade is pretty good (just double-click, and it leaves all
>you old keys intact), except that
>[...]
>	And you *still* can't make an action without a key part of a
>sequence.  This means that uninteresting parts of sequences have to get
>finger-breaking key-combinations.

I totally agree.  It's silly to have to assign all these bogus keystrokes.
QuicKeys should also be able to run sequences from within sequences.

>	The Run-a-key-at-a-given-time or -at-a-given-interval or
>-(APPL-dependent)-on-startup CDEV looks good; don't need it, so haven't
>tried it.

It would be nice if a application-dependent quit key could be run too.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

>>	And you *still* can't make an action without a key part of a
>>sequence.  This means that uninteresting parts of sequences have to get
>>finger-breaking key-combinations.

>I totally agree.  It's silly to have to assign all these bogus keystrokes.
>QuicKeys should also be able to run sequences from within sequences.

I've talked to CE about this, and it requires some serious redesign of the
internals. They told me they were planning on doing it for release 2.0 (they
thought) but not before because of the amount of work it would take.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

This is....The Voice....of USENET....in special English. 1300UTC on 11525.

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (05/26/89)

In article <4348@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:
> [about QuickKeys 1.2]
>It would be nice if a application-dependent quit key could be run too.

Huh? Do you mean a key which can quit any Application? Just do a menu
quickey "Quit". What's the dificulty?

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (05/27/89)

In article <2088@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>In article <4348@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:
>> [about QuickKeys 1.2]
>>It would be nice if a application-dependent quit key could be run too.
>
>Huh? Do you mean a key which can quit any Application? Just do a menu
>quickey "Quit". What's the dificulty?
>
>Alexis Rosen

No, no.  The discussion was concerning QuickTimer.  QuickTimer lets you define
an application-dependent QuicKey named "ApplStart" to be run on startup.  For
example, suppose I define a key named "ApplStart" in MicroPhone II (which I
do) and have the QuickTimer option turned on.  Whenever MicroPhone II starts
up, QuicKeys runs that key (turns off my smartquotes which don't look too
good in 7-bit ASCII).  This is very nice because the keys are restricted to
the applications that you need them in.

It would be nice too also have something like an "ApplEnd" key.  This would
automatically run when the application quits.  It's not quite the same as if
I defined my own quit sequence.  The "ApplEnd" key would also work if you
pulled down the menu and selected quit.

+++