[comp.sys.mac] Maintaining Copyrights Was MacsBug available on Compuserve, not net?.)

maymudes@husc4.UUCP (David Maymudes,,,4982298) (05/26/89)

From article <31668@apple.Apple.COM>, by jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson):
> 	It has to do with the fact that Compuserve, Genie, and AppleLink all
> keep records of who have downloaded software from them and guarantee that
> folks see a license agreement from Apple before they download.  The US
> Copyright office says that if you are to maintain your copyright you have
> to maintain control over who receives your software.

Does this concept only apply to computer software?  For instance, it seems that
if a book is sold at a bookstore, then the publisher, or even the bookstore,
has no way to know whom the individual copies were sold to.  Is the point that
with computer software, since there is no obvious physical limit to the number
of copies distributed, you can't tell the difference between giving away a
limited number of copies of something, and letting everybody copy it for free?

An idea: Shouldn't it be possible for the FTP host to keep a record of who has
used it (using people's "Password:" response, even though it's not especially
reliable) and what files have been downloaded (can be picked out from the list
of commands sent.  Would maintaining this information be enough?

David Maymudes
maymudes@husc4.harvard.edu

						--David Maymudes

maymudes%husc4@harvard.ARPA	maymudes@husc4.harvard.edu
maymudes@husc4.UUCP		maymudes@HARVUNXU.BITNET
..{seismo, harpo, ihnp4, linus, allegra, ut-sally}!harvard!husc4!maymudes
davidm@harvarda.BITNET

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (05/26/89)

Dear David -
	As I understand it, there are a lot of confusing issues around all
of this.  First and foremost, if I sell a book I know that you only have
a single copy of it.  It is easy for me to control who has a copy of it.
	Second, I understand that the US Copyright office has various classes
of things that it copyrights with various requirements for protecting
their copyrights.  I will try, as I said earlier, to get more details
about this.

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET
Development Tools Product Management   AppleLink: Mattson1
20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-974-4601
			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
					C.S. Lewis

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (05/27/89)

In article <1944@husc6.harvard.edu> maymudes@husc4.harvard.edu writes:
>From article <31668@apple.Apple.COM>, by jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson):
>> 	It has to do with the fact that Compuserve, Genie, and AppleLink all
>> keep records of who have downloaded software from them and guarantee that
>> folks see a license agreement from Apple before they download.  The US
>> Copyright office says that if you are to maintain your copyright you have
>> to maintain control over who receives your software.
>

>An idea: Shouldn't it be possible for the FTP host to keep a record of who has
>used it (using people's "Password:" response, even though it's not especially
>reliable) and what files have been downloaded (can be picked out from the list
>of commands sent.  Would maintaining this information be enough?

  If the big problem is to assure that folks must read the agreement before
they get the program then there is an easier way to do this: put a password on
the stuffit-archive containing the copyrighted software and then put the
password in the middle of the license agreement text document (which is not
protected). In this way people have to read the agreement to extract the
program.
  But I guess Apple then will have insurmountable problems with the license for
Stuffit...

            /Olle