[net.wanted] double exclamation mark in an address

timos@ucbvax.ARPA (Timos Sellis) (12/21/84)

I got a message from France that had in the "From" part
of the header an address with a double exclamation mark
(i.e. ...!vmucnam!!username). What is the meaning of
such syntax ?  Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Timos  (timos@berkeley , ...!ucbvax!timos)

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (01/05/85)

In article <3906@ucbvax.ARPA> timos@ucbvax.ARPA (Timos Sellis) writes:
	>I got a message from France that had in the "From" part
	>of the header an address with a double exclamation mark
	>(i.e. ...!vmucnam!!username). What is the meaning of
	>such syntax ?  Any ideas ?
The meaning of such "syntax" is that e.g. a new site has been added,
that has a bug in the mail/uucp software or that is experimenting with
sendmail; both with the effect of leaving out their sitename from the
path....

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (01/05/85)

In article <3906@ucbvax.ARPA> timos@ucbvax.ARPA (Timos Sellis) writes:
>I got a message from France that had in the "From" part
>of the header an address with a double exclamation mark
>(i.e. ...!vmucnam!!username). What is the meaning of
>such syntax ?  Any ideas ?

We had that problem when we were changing our sendmail configuration file.
--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,nsc,spar}!turtlevax!ken

honey@down.FUN (code 101) (01/06/85)

i'll bet a quarter the offending site froze their sendmail configuration
file while in single user mode, making hostname empty.
	peter