[comp.sys.mac] Does anyone know about the 25MHz MAC IIcx that may be announced this summer

rw02@GTE.COM (Robert Weihmayer) (05/25/89)

MAC week had an article on new product announcements. It said
a new 25MHz IIcx unit may come out this summer at about the
same price as the current IIcx model.
Does anyone know more about this?

lauac@haida.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/26/89)

In article <6974@bunny.GTE.COM> rw02@GTE.COM (Robert Weihmayer) writes:
>MAC week had an article on new product announcements. It said
>a new 25MHz IIcx unit may come out this summer at about the
>same price as the current IIcx model.
>Does anyone know more about this?

All I know is that there are rumors of an AMD 29000 RISC chip being
used as a graphics coprocessor, DMA (direct memory access) technology
being used for SCSI speedup, and that the whole logic board was
redesigned to take advantage of the 25 MHz 68030.

A 33 MHz version is rumored to be scheduled for early next year. Maybe
by the April Macworld Expo in San Francisco (ugh)...

--- Alex
Standard disclaimers apply.
Standard .signature not available.

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (05/26/89)

In article <24863@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@haida.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
>In article <6974@bunny.GTE.COM> rw02@GTE.COM (Robert Weihmayer) writes:
>>MAC week had an article on new product announcements. It said
>>a new 25MHz IIcx unit may come out this summer at about the
>>same price as the current IIcx model.
>>Does anyone know more about this?
>
>All I know is that there are rumors of an AMD 29000 RISC chip being
>used as a graphics coprocessor, DMA (direct memory access) technology
>being used for SCSI speedup, and that the whole logic board was
>redesigned to take advantage of the 25 MHz 68030.
>
>A 33 MHz version is rumored to be scheduled for early next year. Maybe
>by the April Macworld Expo in San Francisco (ugh)...

WOW!!!!!!! When and where can I get one of these????? :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
(couldn't resist ...)

|Philip K. Ronzone, Apple Computer, 10440 Bubb Rd, MS 58A, Cupertino, CA 95014|
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft,...}!apple!phil             |
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| All "IMHOs" disclaimed and copyrighted. | Self defense is a human right ... |
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/28/89)

In article <24863@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@haida.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
>In article <6974@bunny.GTE.COM> rw02@GTE.COM (Robert Weihmayer) writes:
>>MAC week had an article on new product announcements. It said
>>a new 25MHz IIcx unit may come out this summer at about the
>>same price as the current IIcx model.
>>Does anyone know more about this?
>
>All I know is that there are rumors of an AMD 29000 RISC chip being
>used as a graphics coprocessor, DMA (direct memory access) technology
>being used for SCSI speedup, and that the whole logic board was
>redesigned to take advantage of the 25 MHz 68030.

Just to keep rumors straight -- I think you're confusing the 25MHz 030
machine that's reported to be coming out this fall (main features: 25MHz
68030 and it's own 8-bit video card (built-in?)), which seems like a sure
thing, and the so-called "NeXT-killer", that has tons of on-board hardware
features like DMA and the RISC chip for QuickDraw.  No one's been hinting
about when that might be out; if it turns out to be reality, I'd be
surprised to see it before the tail-end of 1990.  Maybe when 8.0 gets out...

                           "Then Job fell to his knees and cried to the Lord,
                            `Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory.
                            Thou hast a good job. Don't blow it.'"
                                           -- Woody Allen
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...