[comp.sys.mac] Looking for Hard Disk 20.

zggl03@apctrc.trc.amoco.com (Gregory G. Luznicky) (05/26/89)

I am trying to run Disinfectant on a mac 512k with a Hyperdrive 20 and 64k
roms. I get a message that I need a file called Hard Disk 20. Where can I
get a copy of this, and what is it?

Thanks,
   Greg.

jln@accuvax.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (05/26/89)

In article <885@apctrc.UUCP> zggl03@apctrc.trc.amoco.com (Gregory G. Luznicky) writes:

>I am trying to run Disinfectant on a mac 512k with a Hyperdrive 20 and 64k
>roms. I get a message that I need a file called Hard Disk 20. Where can I
>get a copy of this, and what is it?

Disinfectant requires the hierarchical file system (HFS), which is not
present on the 64k ROMs.  The "Hard Disk 20" file is a special system file
which can be used on these old machines to add in HFS.  This is all a bit
confusing, because even though Disinfectant requires HFS, it can still scan
both MFS and HFS disks.

I don't know where you can get a copy of the Hard Disk 20 file.  Try
dealers, user groups, whatever.  Or perhaps someone else here on the net can
help out and send you a copy.  (I don't have one, or I would be happy to).

(I'm the author of Disinfectant).

John Norstad         jln@acns.nwu.edu

sklein@cdp.UUCP (05/27/89)

>I am trying to run Disinfectant on a mac 512K with a Hyperdrive 20 and 64K
>roms. I get a message that I need a file called Hard Disk 20. Where can I
>get a copy of this, and what is it?

Hard Disk 20 is an INIT (or RDEV) that allows Mac's with 64K ROMs to use
HFS.  It was distributed with 800K external drives and with Apples HD20
hard disk (the one that plugged into the external floppy port).

You might have trouble scaring up a copy nowadays.  64K ROMs are ancient!
 -shabtai

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/28/89)

In article <885@apctrc.UUCP> zggl03@apctrc.trc.amoco.com (Gregory G. Luznicky) writes:

>I am trying to run Disinfectant on a mac 512k with a Hyperdrive 20 and 64k
>roms. I get a message that I need a file called Hard Disk 20. Where can I
>get a copy of this, and what is it?
>
>Thanks,
>   Greg.

The file "HD20" comes with the System 3.2 disks.
You can get them from BMUG for $5, I believe.
Call the BMUG order line at (415) 549-BMUG
for more information.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)