[comp.sys.mac] Apple System 7.0, AmigaDOS versus OS/2, etc...

mo@prisma (05/22/89)

"True Multitasking???"   This phrase would imply there is a
"False Multitasking."

I just wish the Macintosh would get an operating system of any non-trivial
sort.  However, being stuck with a Mac that can't have an MMU,
I will probably solve the problem by buying either a fast 386 clone
and run marginal Unix on it, or buy a SPARCstation and run something
closer to real Unix on it.

There.  That should offend EVERYONE!

	-Mike

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/24/89)

From article <9700004@prisma>, by mo@prisma:

> I just wish the Macintosh would get an operating system of any non-trivial
> sort.  However, being stuck with a Mac that can't have an MMU,

If you want to see trivial, have you seen MS-DOS lately. Even version
4.0 is a joke. The Mac may not be Unix, but it is sure a far cry from
what the competition is stuck with...

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (05/26/89)

< 4.0 is a joke. The Mac may not be Unix, but it is sure a far cry from
< what the competition is stuck with...

Thank goodness it's not Unix.  If it were Unix, the file system
would be about three times slower.  AT&T could learn something
about file systems from Apple...

					Tim Smith

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (05/29/89)

In article <18826@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>< 4.0 is a joke. The Mac may not be Unix, but it is sure a far cry from
>< what the competition is stuck with...
>Thank goodness it's not Unix.  If it were Unix, the file system
>would be about three times slower.  AT&T could learn something
>about file systems from Apple...
  Funny, I don't notice that file access seems significantly slower on my
Mac under Unix as opposed to under MacOS.
  Not that this means that either one is going to win any prizes for speed.
Both could stand to learn a lot from the work UC Berkeley did on speeding up
the Unix filesystem.  Check out the paper "A Fast File System for Unix", by
McKusick, Joy, Leffler, and Fabry (ACM Trans. on Computer Systems, vol. 2,
pp.181-197.) Or just ask anyone who has used a BSD system before being
condemmed to the purgatory of System V :-).
--
Richard Todd	Fido:1:147/1     USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069
Try one of these: rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us, rmtodd@killer.dallas.tx.us,