[comp.sys.mac] Rom Version Question

jjw7384@ultb.UUCP (J.J. Wasilko) (05/27/89)

I just recently had my Mac 512Ke upgraded to a Mac Plus and I have
noticed a problem booting from a SCSI hard disk.

With this machine, the hard disk must be spun up for about 10 seconds
before the Mac is turned on, otherwise the Mac will ignore the hard
disk. I've have used the same disk on other Mac Pluses, and the drive
and Mac can be turned on at the same time without any problem.

The only difference that I can see is that my 512ke/MacPlus has version
2 (Lonely Heifer) roms in it, and the other MacPluses I've used have
been version 3 (Loud Harmonica) roms.

Is there a fix/upgrade available to fix this annoying problem?

Thanks,

Jeff
--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko       |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjw7384@ritvax+------------------------+   UUCP: jjw7384@ultb.UUCP   |
|INTERNET: jjw7384%ritvax.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu|'claimer: No one cares.      |

richard@uva.UUCP (Richard Carels) (05/29/89)

In article <853@ultb.UUCP> jjw7384@ultb.UUCP (J.J. Wasilko (662PPR)) writes:
>I just recently had my Mac 512Ke upgraded to a Mac Plus and I have
>noticed a problem booting from a SCSI hard disk.
>
>With this machine, the hard disk must be spun up for about 10 seconds
>before the Mac is turned on, otherwise the Mac will ignore the hard
>disk. I've have used the same disk on other Mac Pluses, and the drive
>and Mac can be turned on at the same time without any problem.
>Is there a fix/upgrade available to fix this annoying problem?

Yes: buy a memory upgrade. I did, and since then I did not have this
problem anymore. Why? It takes longer to test 2.5 Meg...

Richard Carels,   University of Amsterdam           Email:
                  Computer Science Department       richard@uva.uucp
                  Kruislaan 409                     ...!hp4nl!uva!richard
                  1098 SJ AMSTERDAM