[comp.sys.mac] My Mac+ screen is shrinking ICONS!

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (05/27/89)

I noticed a weird problem on my Mac+ the other day...it seems that the screen
has gone non-linear....that is, things on the left side of the screen are
wider (but the same hight) as things on the right.

It's like the pixels are getting closer together horizontally at the right
side of the screen.  It's not a BIG change yet, but you can notice it very
easily when you drag an icon from one side of the screen to the other.

The change seems to appear only in the far right...move more than an inch or
so to the left and it goes away.

Is this the first warning sign of some kind of impending doom??  Anybody
else had this problem or know what can be done about it?

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (05/28/89)

In article <1391@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>I noticed a weird problem on my Mac+ the other day...it seems that the screen
>has gone non-linear....that is, things on the left side of the screen are
>wider (but the same hight) as things on the right.
>
>It's like the pixels are getting closer together horizontally at the right
>side of the screen.  It's not a BIG change yet, but you can notice it very
>easily when you drag an icon from one side of the screen to the other.
>
>The change seems to appear only in the far right...move more than an inch or
>so to the left and it goes away.
>
>Is this the first warning sign of some kind of impending doom??  Anybody
>else had this problem or know what can be done about it?

  Quel coincidence!  I just had this very same problem this week.  If you
don't get it fixed, it'll get worse.  But it was a minor problem, really.  A
capacitor on the analog board went bad.  I'm not a hardware expert so I can't
name which capacitor it was, but it was a black one at the top of the analog
board towards the front of the screen if you stand the Mac upright.  I had mine
fixed in 15 minutes.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@{sol,caen}.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             | Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            909 Church St
===================================|            Apt C
"These are MY opinions." (My       |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
 employer doesn't want them.       |===========================================
 Actually, they don't really care  |
 what I think.  But President      |   This space intentionally left blank.
 Duderstadt does...)               |

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (05/28/89)

In article <1391@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>I noticed a weird problem on my Mac+ the other day...it seems that the screen
>has gone non-linear....that is, things on the left side of the screen are
>wider (but the same hight) as things on the right.

	Just on the off chance, are there any magnets near your
	Mac+?  Magnetic fields can distort the image because they
	deflect the electron beams.

	Try moving your Mac a foot or so in several directions and
	see if the problem goes away or moves.

--
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP
``The worst thing about being a vampire is that you can't go to matinees

cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) (05/28/89)

In article <608@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:

>       Just on the off chance, are there any magnets near your
>       Mac+?  Magnetic fields can distort the image because they
>       deflect the electron beams.
>
>       Try moving your Mac a foot or so in several directions and
>       see if the problem goes away or moves.

Funny that you mention this.  I have a (somewhat) amusing anecdote about
that:

During my later high school and early college days, I worked for the
Veterans Administration (VA) hospital in a nameless city.  Within the
Pharmacy service there, they were just starting to automate (you know the
government), and their users were, shall we say, "computer illiterates" ;-}

Among programming and training, I was also head honcho in charge of "trouble
calls" -- those things which strike fear into the heart of every person who
deals with non-computer types.  One day I received a call from the Pharmacy
saying that one of their terminals was broken.  So, I loaded up the hand-
truck with a brand-new terminal, and was on my way to Pharmacy.

After a few nimble twists of a screwdriver, the new terminal was in place
and working like a charm.  It seemed that their old terminal had taken to
displaying only the right side of the screen.  I told them that we would
have it fixed.

After lunch, I received a message to call Pharmacy.  I was told that this
terminal had started to do the same thing.  I told them that I had something
to deliver, but that I would stop by to see what could be done.

On my way from where I had to go to the Pharmacy, I passed my the NMR
(Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) Lab to get to the elevator.  It just so happened
to be RIGHT OVER THE PHARMACY!  I ducked in to see where their machines were
located, and, sure enough, it was along the same wall that the terminal was
located.  The so-called "problem" with the terminal had to do with a very
*LARGE* magnetic field right above it.

Boy, the government never ceases to amaze me!

Someone else (?) best explained it:
	You see, there's this hierarchical structure known as the VA...

Enjoy!
--
Thanks
Chris Cleeland, Tulane University

Disclaimer:  I haven't said anything worth not claiming!!!

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (05/30/89)

In article <817@rex.cs.tulane.edu> cleeland@rex.UUCP (Chris Cleeland) writes:
>On my way from where I had to go to the Pharmacy, I passed my the NMR
>(Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) Lab to get to the elevator.  It just so happened
>to be RIGHT OVER THE PHARMACY!  I ducked in to see where their machines were
>located, and, sure enough, it was along the same wall that the terminal was
>located.  The so-called "problem" with the terminal had to do with a very
>*LARGE* magnetic field right above it.

I wonder what the *health* effects of working in an environment like
this are.
--

                                               - Scott