[comp.sys.mac] getting around the CQD in the SE/30

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (05/28/89)

	Now that I have been playing with my SE/30 for a while, it seems to
me that most of the problems with compatability occur because of the CQD
capability in the SE/30.  I was wondering if it would be possible to write
and INIT that would "trick" any applications into thinking that the SE/30
had normal QD rather than CQD.  From what the technical notes said, that
seems to be the crux of the problem, because many programs assume CQD = MacII
with color.

Any ideas in NetLand?

-James.Osborne@mac.dartmouth.edu

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (05/30/89)

In article <13676@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) writes:

> 	Now that I have been playing with my SE/30 for a while, it seems to
> me that most of the problems with compatability occur because of the CQD
> capability in the SE/30.  I was wondering if it would be possible to write
> and INIT that would "trick" any applications into thinking that the SE/30
> had normal QD rather than CQD.  From what the technical notes said, that
> seems to be the crux of the problem, because many programs assume CQD = MacII
> with color.

	I can't vouch for all developers, but the method I use for dealing with
colored output is to do something like the following.

1) Determine if the machine in question has CQD (call SysEnvirons and check the
hasColorQD field (some older apps check the machine type instead - BAD!)).
** Now comes the interesting part **
2) Determine the appropriate bitdepths of the attached monitors. - Most appls
blow it here but only checking the main monitor and if it is not 256 color (or
whatever) alerting the user and returning to Finder...HOWEVER many of us have
large screen B&W monitors AND the Apple RGB...We keep the B&W as the main sinced
we want all that realestate..but that means in order to run most color appls we
have to do a monitor switch (using the monitor cdev - BIG PAIN!)
3) Handling pallettes, etc. for each window based on it's location/gDevice.

It's not the O.S., it's the developers...

P.S. In order to answer your question about the INIT, yes it could be done, but
why would you want to???

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025