[comp.sys.mac] Dirtecting printer output

suelh@druhi.ATT.COM (Sue Hendrix) (05/29/89)

This didn't get out the first time around, so we'll try again.

I have a friend who would like to take printer output and direct it to a disk
file, primarily to save Infocom game scripts to an editable file. Is there any
way to do this easily (or any other)?

Thanks.

--
                                      Sue Hendrix, net.goddess
                                      att!drutx!druhi!suelh

It's a beautiful day, let's go boating.

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/30/89)

In article <4276@druhi.ATT.COM> suelh@druhi.ATT.COM (Sue Hendrix) writes:

>I have a friend who would like to take printer output and direct it to a disk
>file, primarily to save Infocom game scripts to an editable file. Is there any
>way to do this easily (or any other)?

Easy way ? Nope. Apart from encapsulating the PostScript(TM) that should
have gone to the LaserWriter, if you use the Standard Print Package (i.e.
"Print" in most DTP, Word Processing and Graphic Design programs) there is
no easy way to redirect data from the printer to disk. (That's what I like
about UNIX... and CP/M 80 :-)

You COULD however:
a) Write a new .PRINT driver and substitute it for the older one
b) Patch the binaries for printing in the game using some patcher
	(but there ARE no patchers! Just disassemblers (MacNosy, MacsBug...)
	and assembler(s ?) (MPW))
Both of these solutions require a lot of knowledge, a lot of coffe and a
lot of REAL NEED to be done...

>It's a beautiful day, let's go boating.

Yeah, let's! Any time! The Swedish archipelagy around Stockholm is amongst
the most beautiful places in the world... Here and there they're CROWDED
with average joes out sailing for a week, but there ARE places where you
can be alone (almost...)

>                                      Sue Hendrix, net.goddess
>                                      att!drutx!druhi!suelh

Of course, I am--
h+@nada.kth.se  <>,,     Picture this recording studio somewhere far far away
Jon W{tte      (:))))=-  Brrrrreeeee, you bugger! (Piano in)
Oh NO! A bug!   <>''     Say kids, what time is it ? It's time for a house.
Dizco me to XtaC!        OOOOH LAAAH LAAAAA ! (c) HitHouse  -- No More --