[comp.sys.mac] Mac HD crashed HELP!!!

aldus@cdp.UUCP (05/26/89)

I have a crashed apple 40 mb hard drive, an internal drive for my Mac II.  It
is not booting from the drive, and no icon comes up on the desktop when it is
booted from another disk.  I have tried zapping the PRAM, rebuilding desktop,
first aid HFS, RedEdit, Disk First Aid and the Symentec Utilities on it, with
no results.  The SUM are the only software that acknowledges that there is a
drive there, but  during HFS recover, I get a beep and the screen reverts to
the main help screen.  I had installed SUM's Guardian on the drive some time
ago.  During diagnosis, the SUM software will not go past getting the
parameters for the drive if I keep the Option "Guardian was installed" checked.
(That's frustrating, as this is the very kind of thing that SUM should be
helping me out of.)  HFS recover of the SUM utilities stops halfway through the
file search if I check "Guardian was NOT installed" and quits.

Any ideas, comments, or jokes would be appreciated.

Jan Wright
[DE3MIR]aldus@DASNET#
AppleLink: D0455

jwhiting@cdp.UUCP (05/26/89)

No need to worry.  The world famous Hammer Approach worked a minor miracle
amongst us today.  After it was ascertained that the HD wasn't spinning,
a well placed punch solved the problem.

ahhhhhh, modern life.

jwhiting

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (05/28/89)

In article <141200036@cdp>, aldus@cdp.UUCP writes:

> I have a crashed apple 40 mb hard drive, an internal drive for my Mac II.  It
> is not booting from the drive, and no icon comes up on the desktop when it is

You have encountered a very common problem with the Quantum HD40. If you
take off the top, you may find that the drive is not spinning. Hopefully,
you will be able to get a warranty replacement. There is speculation that
either the bearings seize on this series of drive or that the heads stick to
the media surface. Check with you Apple dealer.

vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei) (05/31/89)

In article <141200036@cdp> aldus@cdp.UUCP writes:

>I have a crashed apple 40 mb hard drive, an internal drive for my Mac II.  It
>is not booting from the drive, and no icon comes up on the desktop when it is
>booted from another disk.
>

>Jan Wright
>[DE3MIR]aldus@DASNET#
>AppleLink: D0455

In a related story, I am unable to back up my hard disk using HD-Backup.
SUM is installed, the system is a macII with HD-40SC internal.  I start
HD backup and everything looks peachy until I get to around the 8th floppy
when I get an out of memory message.  I have 1M RAM right now, I tried to
boot from a floppy with a minimal system and then run HDBU but same problem.
The Disk is about 60% full.  Is there a bug so that HDBU and SUM don't play
well together?

Todd
vogelei@nmtsun