[comp.sys.mac] MacLanding

cassian@cb.ecn.purdue.edu (Cassian K. Lee) (05/29/89)

Personally, I like MacLanding. I used to play this game on a MacPlus
with system 4.1 (?). Now, when I play it on a SE (sys 6.0.2), the
'enter' key will not release a smart bomb anymore!! Everything else
works except this. I don't know if this is because of the new system
or what. Does anyone know how to get it to work? Or if there is a newer
version available?

-cassian

cassian@ecn.purdue.edu
...!pur-ee!cassian

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (05/31/89)

In article <972@cb.ecn.purdue.edu>
  cassian@ecn.purdue.edu (Cassian K. Lee) writes:
>Personally, I like MacLanding. I used to play this game on a MacPlus
>with system 4.1 (?). Now, when I play it on a SE (sys 6.0.2), the
>'enter' key will not release a smart bomb anymore!! Everything else
>works except this. I don't know if this is because of the new system
>or what. Does anyone know how to get it to work? Or if there is a newer
>version available?

I posted instructions to patch MacLanding 0.6 to work on newer
Mac keyboards some time early last year: here's a recap.

The problem is that the key code for the enter key changed from
$34 to $4C with the advent of the Mac Plus keyboard.  This
keyboard also moved the enter key way over to the numeric keypad,
which was usually too far to reach in time for a smart bomb.

Therefore, I patched MacLanding to use the delete key on newer
keyboards, which is not only more conveniently situated, but
seems semantically more appropriate :-).

Using FEdit or some similar tool, search for the unique byte
sequence 6758 1039.  Then make the following change:

old: 0010 6758 1039 0A00 977A 0280 0000 00FF 0280 0000 0010
new: 0008 6758 1039 0A00 977A 0280 0000 00FF 0280 0000 0008

This changes a mask that is used to test KeyMap structures,
so that bit $33 is tested instead of bit $34.  Two tests are
required, since two copies of a KeyMap are tested to ensure
that a bomb is detonated only on actual key-down, and not once
every subsequent loop while the key is held down.

John
--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john