[comp.sys.mac] WANTED: Software copy lock for Mac

csachs@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Colin Sachs) (05/17/89)

I am seeking information regarding any software package which would
allow one to keep people from copying software from a hard disk on
a Macintosh computer.  Tall order, I know, but my "boss" wants me to
check into the possibility of one existing.  Any information relating
to such a program would be appreciated.  Please e-mail directly to me.

Colin Sachs   (csachs@ace.cs.ohiou.edu)
Department of Psychology
Ohio University
Athens OH   45701

sklein@cdp.UUCP (05/20/89)

The Finder has a bit called NOCOPY.  Guess what it does?

You can easily set the NoCopy bit of any file using utilities like
DistTop or DiskTools.
 -shabtai
(aka cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/21/89)

In article <141200032@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:
>The Finder has a bit called NOCOPY.  Guess what it does?

Isn't that the bit affectionately known as the 'Bozo Bit'?

If I heard correctly, it was dubbed as such because only a Bozo would be
deterred by its protection scheme.  I presume that means it is relatively
easy to get around this defense.

Still, it might be worthwhile to look into setting the Bozo Bit if it would
at all deter rampant piracy.  I've been hesitant to play with it so far - I
know all too well what playing with file settings can do! - but I haven't
notices that it does anything when it is set.  I'll try it again, but in the
meantime, is there anyone who can elaborate on what the Bozo Bit is there to
accomplish, and what exactly it *does* accomplish?

Thank you.
--
| Brian S. Kendig         /\ +----+ /\ of Power | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering   / Triforces! \ Courage | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) (05/22/89)

In article <141200032@cdp>, sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

> The Finder has a bit called NOCOPY.  Guess what it does?
>
> You can easily set the NoCopy bit of any file using utilities like
> DistTop or DiskTools.

	The only problem with this is that users have tools like these
as well.  I don't know how it works with file servers, but on a local
drive changing this back to full access is just a few clicks away.

	The Mac isn't much for keeping people out...
--
Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwatr@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

sklein@cdp.UUCP (05/23/89)

True, *some* users have DiskTop or DiskTools, and a few even know how
to use ResEdit.  But what percent of users do they represent?

I bet it's less than 10%, perhaps less than 5%.
 -shabtai

gregh@inmet (05/24/89)

The "Bozo" bit has not worked since at least System 4.1. Apparently
even Apple did not put much faith in its effectiveness.

Greg Herlihy

gregh@inmet.inmet.com

vomlehn@halley.UUCP (David M VomLehn) (05/31/89)

In article <127200065@inmet> gregh@inmet writes:
>The "Bozo" bit has not worked since at least System 4.1. Apparently
>even Apple did not put much faith in its effectiveness.

Actually, this is not true.  I am running system 6.0.2 and have recently
used the "Bozo" bit to good effect.  It is ample to keep naive users from
making off with your files.  Since most of the people reading news are not
naive users, we get a distorted idea of just how few users actually know about
this sort of thing.