[comp.sys.mac] DOS EMULATION

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ronald Bannon) (05/31/89)

I've been offered a job which requires the use of a PC clone. I plan to
purchase a cheap 286-386 clone to connect to my MAC (via cable) so
I can run PC programs. So I need a good DOS terminal emulation program for
the MAC, so far I have only heard of MacChuck. I would also like to
communicate with a remote PC via modem.

Suggestions?

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu

lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/31/89)

In article <May.30.20.16.36.1989.25737@galaxy.rutgers.edu> bannon@andromeda (Ronald Bannon) writes:
>I've been offered a job which requires the use of a PC clone. I plan to
>purchase a cheap 286-386 clone to connect to my MAC (via cable) so
>I can run PC programs. So I need a good DOS terminal emulation program for
>the MAC, so far I have only heard of MacChuck. I would also like to
>communicate with a remote PC via modem.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Ron Bannon
>bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu

How about PC Anywhere III and PC-MacTerm?

It is supposed to work with any PC/PC clone/PS2, and they have a network
version that's supposed to work over an AppleTalk network.

I can't find the flier they sent me, but if you mail me I'll mail you
back some more information.

PC Anywhere runs on the PC or clone, and PC-MacTerm runs on your Mac.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (05/31/89)

In article <25064@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
> In article <May.30.20.16.36.1989.25737@galaxy.rutgers.edu> bannon@andromeda (Ronald Bannon) writes:
> >I've been offered a job which requires the use of a PC clone. I plan to
> >purchase a cheap 286-386 clone to connect to my MAC (via cable) so
> >I can run PC programs. So I need a good DOS terminal emulation program for
> >the MAC, so far I have only heard of MacChuck. I would also like to
> >communicate with a remote PC via modem.

Actually, any good terminal emulation program will do. On the clone,
you can reroute the console to a serial port with the DOS CTTY command.
On the Mac, you can use Kermit 9(40) which runs fine under multifinder.
For remote PC operation, you could run Procomm Host on the PC and
dialup the clone with Kermit 9(40) on the Mac. Procomm Host allows
password and DOS shell protection as well

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (06/01/89)

We have used PC MacTerm very successfully by hooking up the PC with
an ordinary null modem (it should work also with real modems) cable.
However, none of the graphics modes are supported. The screen emulation is
pretty slow, though.

rich

Richard Fozzard
University of Colorado				"Serendipity empowers"
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu