[comp.sys.mac] Macintosh floppy drive prices in Manhattan/New York area

makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (05/30/89)

My old 512k Mac with it's 400k drives is getting definitely outdated.
I already have a 1M expansion card, now I need also a bigger floppy drive.
Over here, component prices charged by Apple are truly exorbitant.

Can 1.4M drives be attached to the basic 512k (Plus ROMs) machine, or are they
only MacII stuff ?  Of course, if I'm upgrading, I'd like to go as far as is
practical... and I'd love to transfer stuff from PC machines also.

My sister is coming over from NY, and she could bring a new drive with her.
The question is, are there any retailers in Manhattan with notably low prices ?
Or is mail-order a better idea ?

Thanx in advance (email please... our news feed seems to clog up -- I might
not see answers in comp.sys.mac)
Otto J. Makela (with poetic license to kill), University of Jyvaskyla

InterNet: makela@tukki.jyu.fi, BitNet: MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET
BBS: +358 41 211 562 (V.22bis/V.22/V.21, 24h/d), Phone: +358 41 613 847
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE

rcbaab@eutrc3.UUCP (Annard Brouwer) (05/31/89)

In article <774@tukki.jyu.fi> makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>My old 512k Mac with it's 400k drives is getting definitely outdated.
>I already have a 1M expansion card, now I need also a bigger floppy drive.
>Over here, component prices charged by Apple are truly exorbitant.
>
>Can 1.4M drives be attached to the basic 512k (Plus ROMs) machine, or are they
>only MacII stuff ?  Of course, if I'm upgrading, I'd like to go as far as is
>practical... and I'd love to transfer stuff from PC machines also.

According to MacWorld (May 1989) there is a drive that can be attached to the
Plus, Se and 512KE and reads Mess-Dozzz and some features of the new
SuperDrive. It connects to the Mac with a little box in the external floppy
disc port.
It's called Report and is made by Kennect. According to this article it should  cost about US$295.
I'm very interested in this little beastie, does anybody have some real world
info about it?

Greetings, Annard.
--
name   		: Annard Brouwer	address: Dreef 74
BITNET		: RCGBBAAB@HEITUE51		 5504 LD Veldhoven

cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) (06/01/89)

In article <774@tukki.jyu.fi> makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>My old 512k Mac with it's 400k drives is getting definitely outdated.
>I already have a 1M expansion card, now I need also a bigger floppy drive.
>Over here, component prices charged by Apple are truly exorbitant.
>
>Can 1.4M drives be attached to the basic 512k (Plus ROMs) machine, or are they
>only MacII stuff ?  Of course, if I'm upgrading, I'd like to go as far as is

Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need the Super
Integrated Woz Machine (SWIM chip) to use the new drives?  If this is true,
then it's my bet that you can't use the new drives with the old ROM's.

On top of that, you also probably need some sort of system patch somewhere.

Who knows...maybe Apple will come out with some sort of INIT like
Hard Disk 20 so that *the rest of us* can use the new drives too :-)
--
Thanks
Chris Cleeland, Tulane University

Disclaimer:  I haven't said anything worth not claiming!!!