[comp.sys.mac] LightSpeed Pascal 1.11 revisited

bwbecker@violet.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) (05/31/89)

A friend has inherited LSP v1.11 for teaching a class.  Problem:  on his
2Meg MacII, it gives the error message about memory blockage (perhaps a
DA?).  There was no DA running.  Any clues as to what this is?

We replaced the application with a new version from the distribution
disks.  It compiled and ran the Bullseye program correctly the *first*
time, but refused thereafter.

Full configuration:
	Mac II, 2Meg
	Jasmine Direct Drive 100 hard disk (external)
	Uni-finder
	no inits
	System 4.2
	Finder 6.0
	LSP 1.11

I know the System and Finder are old and will replace them shortly.  In
the mean time, anything else to look for?

Thanks in advance,

Byron Weber Becker
bwbecker@violet.waterloo.edu

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (05/31/89)

In article <14175@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bwbecker@violet.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) writes:
>A friend has inherited LSP v1.11 for teaching a class.  Problem:  on his
>2Meg MacII, it gives the error message about memory blockage (perhaps a
>DA?).  There was no DA running.  Any clues as to what this is?

	1) If a DA was ever brought up inside Lightspeed Pascal, it's
possible that the DA may not have cleaned up after itself properly.

	2) Check for viruses. We've found that nVIR and other viruses
cause this behavior in version 1.11.

		--Rich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 "She told me to make myself comfortable, so I pulled down my pants
 and sat in the pudding." -Emo Phillips
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dave@emerald.PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (06/01/89)

In article <1972@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>In article <14175@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bwbecker@violet.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) writes:
>>A friend has inherited LSP v1.11 for teaching a class.  Problem:  on his
>>2Meg MacII, it gives the error message about memory blockage (perhaps a
>>DA?).  There was no DA running.  Any clues as to what this is?
>
>	1) If a DA was ever brought up inside Lightspeed Pascal, it's
>possible that the DA may not have cleaned up after itself properly.

In particular, check for the Calculator+ DA.  It has always given me
this behavior; that's why I keep the original (Apple version?)
Calculator DA.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
     ** A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine. **