[comp.sys.mac] color startup and backdrop screens for MacII

franco@bbn.com (Frank A. Lonigro) (05/25/89)

What are the various ways I can display a GIF, PixelPaint or PICT file
as a color(or greyscale) startupscreen and(or) backdrop on a MacII????
What programs do I need to display a color startup screen???  What programs
do I need to display a color image as my backdrop???  What if the images
in question were in GIF or PixelPaint format???

Thanks in advance,
-franco

###################################  ###   #########   #####################
#   Frank A. Lonigro              #  ###   #########   #####################
#   franco@bbn.com                #  ###         ###         ###         ###
#   franco%bbn.com@relay.cs.net   #  ###   ###   ###   ###   ###   ###   ###
#   ...!harvard!bbn!franco        #  ###   ###   ###   ###   ###   ###   ###
#   BBN Inc., Cambridge, Mass.    #  ###         ###         ###   ###   ###
###################################  #######################################
# "I think we need more violins on TV and less game shows!" - Gilda Radner #

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/27/89)

I found the FREE init DeskPict, which lets you have any color PICT
file (res id=0) in the background on a Mac II. There was only one
problem... The picture I want uses 254 colors + black and white,
and the pallette gets gobbled before I see what the picture looks
like... a girl in Andy Warhol colors isn't as good as one in techni
colors :-)

Anyone knows what to do about this ?

--
h+@nada.kth.se  <>,,     Picture this recording studio somewhere far far away
Jon W{tte      (:))))=-  Brrrrreeeee, you bugger! (Piano in)

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (05/27/89)

Frank,

The easiest way would be to use AOC Software's Dawn(tm) shareware INIT/cdev.
Dawn originally started as another shareware INIT/cdev called ScreenMaster by
Frank Price.

Essentially, Dawn allows you to use any PixelPaint created StartUpScreen file,
named StartUpPicture, to be display at boot with its custom palette information
and there is another INIT called Restore INIT that restores the System palette.
Dawn also lets you rotate between different StartUpPictures and associated
snd files (optional).

For GIF files, it's best to use Giffer 1.03 and it companion application,
PICTPal.  Save the GIF file as a PICT file and then use PICTPal to convert it
into a PICT file that PixelPaint will accept with its custom palette info.

For "backdrops," there's DeskPICT (shareware) and Microseed's ColorDesk, a part
of the commercial package Screen Gems.  Either will let you use PICT files for
desktops.  Note that these should be create with the System palette.

Hope this helps.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (05/28/89)

In article <18846@cup.portal.com> Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) writes:

> For "backdrops," there's DeskPICT (shareware) and Microseed's ColorDesk,
> a part of the commercial package Screen Gems.  Either will let you use
> PICT files for desktops.  Note that these should be create with the
> System palette.

Here's my dream: a backdrop-INIT that would take a PICT file containing
arbitrary colors, and would dither it into a near-equivalent image using
only the system-palette colors.

This should be relatively easy to do if the 32-bit Color QuickDraw
extensions are installed, as the patches to CopyBits implement
dithering.  I was very impressed by how well the dithering works... a
24-bit color image looks very good when dithered into the 8-bit-deep
default palette, and looks acceptable even when dithered into a 4-bit
color environment.  Well done, Apple!

I'd even settle for a a utility-application that could take a standard
PICT file, expand it to 24 bits, dither it down to 8, and save the
resulting PICT in another file.  This utility, used as a back end to
Giffer or PixelPaint, could be used to create some really stunning
full-color-range startup screens.

Hmmm... I think I just defined my next programming project!

--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

) (05/28/89)

In article <18846@cup.portal.com>, Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) writes...
}   ---Stuff about Dawn deleted---
}
}For GIF files, it's best to use Giffer 1.03 and it companion application,
}PICTPal.  Save the GIF file as a PICT file and then use PICTPal to convert it
}into a PICT file that PixelPaint will accept with its custom palette info.
}
Where do you get Giffer 1.03???  I have 1.01, and haven't seen anything newer!!!

Phil Hunt

}
}Fabian Ramirez

Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (Jerry D Whitnell) (05/29/89)

Dave Platt writes..
| Here's my dream: a backdrop-INIT that would take a PICT file containing
|arbitrary colors, and would dither it into a near-equivalent image using
|only the system-palette colors.

I have noticed that in 8-bit quickdraw, pictures with less then 256 colors keep
all their original colors when used as a backdrop.  Perhaps a utility that
reduces from 256 to 128 might be enough?

--
Jerry Whitnell                    Several Species of Small Furry
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com          Animals Gathered Together in a

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (05/31/89)

If you want to display a 256 color picture as a desktop picture, there is a
simple patch you can perform to the RestoreCLUT INIT that I believe comes with
DeskPict.
First you must have the DA called Klutz, or a similar program, that will save
the CLUT of any picture into a file as a CLUT resource.  From there, you can
use ResEdit to replace the CLUT in the RestoreCLUT INIT with your picture CLUT.
Then everytime you restart your system, the INIT will replace the system CLUT
with your picture's.

But, there are some programs that will call a special CLUT and that will screw
up your picture.  Still, this is the best solution I have found.

Len Schultz

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (06/01/89)

The CLUT that you install into RestoreClut must have a resource ID 200.

However, RestoreClut bombs with 32Bit QuickDraw installed. I am trying to
find a solution. If I do I will post.

rob