[comp.sys.mac] and the answer is ...

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (06/01/89)

In <25065@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) :

> In <7598@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:

> >Has anyone else had problems booting an SE/30 with an external SCSI
> >drive attached, but not powered up. This seems like the same problem
> >a mac+ with old ROMs has. Did Apple make the same mistake twice?

> Nah, it's not Apple's fault. All SCSI devices on a chain must be on.
> That includes your external drive, since it's connected.

	not quite. if

	a) you set the jumpers on the external hard
	   disk (if it has such) so that the terminators are NOT powered
	   by the drive

	and

	b) if you have a MAC more recent than a Mac+ (which provides
	   terminator power to external drives)

	then your Mac works just fine with the external drive turned
	off either when you boot, or you can turn it off without
	removing it while using your Mac and other drives (I would
	recommend bringing the drive to a graceful halt, though,
	dismounting mounted partitions and parking the heads before
	powering down).  I guess having 2 machines in front of me
	which I use this way every day makes me an expert witness
	on the matter (I sure hope I did not get any of the details
	mixed up in the description above, though).

			Cheers,		---Werner

PS:  it's about time someone comes out with an expert-system
	providing answers to Mac-questions by email, so this group
	isn't such a volumenous mess of half-truths (or worse)...
	would make a good theses-topic and has commercial potential
	I would think....

--
INTERNET:    uhrig@mcc.com     (if unavailable: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)