[comp.sys.mac] End Note does NOT read Word 4.0

roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) (05/08/89)

Since End Note Does NOT Read Word 4.0 files, I'm going to hold off getting
Word 4.0.  Does anybody out there know if End Note is going to post a
patch, or sell an upgrade, or something?  I really like End Note, but I
think I will be moving to 4.0 sometime soon.

Anxiously,

John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714
Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/09/89)

In article <13526@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:
>Since End Note Does NOT Read Word 4.0 files, I'm going to hold off getting
>Word 4.0.  Does anybody out there know if End Note is going to post a
>patch, or sell an upgrade, or something?  I really like End Note, but I
>think I will be moving to 4.0 sometime soon.
>
>Anxiously,
>
>John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039

A version of EndNote that is compatible with Word 4.0 files was
ready before Word 4.0 was ready.  They didn't want to ship before
Word 4.0 shipped, but now if you called Niles and Assoc. you could
probably get info on an upgrade.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (05/09/89)

In article <13526@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:
>Since End Note Does NOT Read Word 4.0 files, I'm going to hold off getting
>Word 4.0.  Does anybody out there know if End Note is going to post a
>patch, or sell an upgrade, or something?  I really like End Note, but I
>think I will be moving to 4.0 sometime soon.

Knowing some of the folks working on EndNote at Niles & Associates (who
publish EndNote), I think you can count on its working with Word 4.0
before too much longer.  Also with any other word processing program
which develops a healthy market share, or serves the same vertical
niche that EndNote addresses.

Have you tried calling or writing the company to get reassured?  They're
pretty nice folks...

I have no connection with Niles & Associates other than liking their
product and knowing a couple of people there [who do not give me
financial or emotional kickbacks from recommending their products :-)].

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (05/12/89)

In article <13526@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:
>Since End Note Does NOT Read Word 4.0 files, I'm going to hold off getting
>Word 4.0.  Does anybody out there know if End Note is going to post a
>patch, or sell an upgrade, or something?  I really like End Note, but I
>think I will be moving to 4.0 sometime soon.

An upgrade (free for current owners) will be avaialble very soon.
According to the person I talked to at Niles & Assoc. they are mailing
out cards to all registered owners next week. Those with 4.0 just mail it
back nad get the upgrade.

|Curt Stevens        (303)492-1218 |   /   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
|Computer Science Department       |   |   |----------------------------------|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |Its a dog eat dog world & Im wear-|
|Boulder, Colorado 80309           |       |ing milkbone underwear.Norm@Cheers|

========
| Curt |
========

mdyj@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (05/31/89)

>Since End Note Does NOT Read Word 4.0 files, I'm going to hold off getting
>Word 4.0.  Does anybody out there know if End Note is going to post a
>patch, or sell an upgrade, or something?  I really like End Note, but I
>think I will be moving to 4.0 sometime soon.
>
>Anxiously,
>
>John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039

I simply save my files in Word 3 format ("Save As...", and check the
"default format for file" box). It seems that all the features of Word 4.0
are available-- I'm not sure what saving in Word 4.0 format actually DOES.
I haven't had a single problem. Yet.

Mark Yeager           bitnet: mdyj@crnlvax5
203 Biotech           internet: mdyj@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu
Cornell Univ.
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-0961

>I simply save my files in Word 3 format ("Save As...", and check the
>"default format for file" box). It seems that all the features of Word 4.0
>are available-- I'm not sure what saving in Word 4.0 format actually DOES.
>I haven't had a single problem. Yet.

Only when you start using some of the new features, like the table
subsystem. Anything it can export to 3.0, it will. I find I make 3.0 the
default file format a lot of the time, too.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

This is....The Voice....of USENET....in special English. 1300UTC on 11525.

rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu (05/31/89)

>Since End Note Does NOT Read Word 4.0 files, I'm going to hold off getting
>Word 4.0.  Does anybody out there know if End Note is going to post a
>patch, or sell an upgrade, or something?  I really like End Note, but I
>think I will be moving to 4.0 sometime soon.
>
>Anxiously,
>
>John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039

I just received my new version of EndNote (1.2) in the mail yesterday.
I'm impressed that it was entirely free.  It is supposed to read Word
4.0.  Unfortunately, I'm still waiting 2-4 weeks for Microsoft to send
4.0, so I can't test it.

One problem I always have with the DA doesn't seem to be fixed,
unfortunately:  It doesn't return all the memory it uses.  Although the
release notes claim that this was fixed, about 20K still vanishes.

David Rudolph	rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (05/31/89)

In article <18688@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> mdyj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Mark Yeager) writes:

>>Since End Note Does NOT Read Word 4.0 files, I'm going to hold off getting
>>Word 4.0.  Does anybody out there know if End Note is going to post a
>>patch, or sell an upgrade, or something?  I really like End Note, but I
>>think I will be moving to 4.0 sometime soon.
>
>I simply save my files in Word 3 format ("Save As...", and check the
>"default format for file" box). It seems that all the features of Word 4.0
>are available-- I'm not sure what saving in Word 4.0 format actually DOES.
>I haven't had a single problem. Yet.

Niles & Assoc. is definately shipping unsolicited upgrads to version 1.2
which reads word 4.0 files. I received mine yesterday, just before I was
going to call and find out what the story was. That's two unsolicited
upgrades since I purchased the program. Three Cheers for N&A!!!!

|Curt Stevens        (303)492-1218 |   /   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
|Computer Science Department       |   |   |----------------------------------|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |Its a dog eat dog world & Im wear-|
|Boulder, Colorado 80309           |       |ing milkbone underwear.Norm@Cheers|

========
| Curt |
========

rp1n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Pennock) (06/01/89)

In fact, End Note has already upgraded to a version that DOES indeed
read Word 4.0 files.  I received mine in the mail two days ago -- only
three weeks after receiving my Word upgrade!

More amazing -- the EndNote upgrade is FREE.

Even more astounding -- this is the SECOND free upgrade that Niles &
Associates has sent out to purchasers of the original EndNote.

Final flabergasting fact -- BOTH free upgrades included functional
improvements, and were not (unlike the infamous Word 3.0x free upgrades)
merely bug fixes.

And the program itself is superb.  Could one ask for better service?

Thank you, Niles!

Rob Pennock
History & Philosophy of Science
University of Pittsburgh

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Niles & Associates except as one
satisfied customer.

news@cca.ucsf.edu (Network News) (06/02/89)

Version 1.2 of End Note is compatable with MS Word 4.0
From: paul@ucsfccb..ucsf.edu (Paul Green)