[comp.sys.mac] Problem with hierDA 0.9967

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (05/15/89)

Hello all.  This has probably been hashed out before, but...I got hold
of hierDA 0.9967 recently and found that although it does a marvelous
job of 'hierarchicalizing' the Apple menu, I have found that it has a
serious limitation...it can only hierarchicalize ONE level, adn worse
yet, if the command on the second level has further subcommands, even
though it puts up an arrow next to the command, you can't select it.  If
you do, it will simply vanish as though you had released the mouse while
off the menu.  So, to clarify: I can only get one level down from the
apple menu, and those commands on the second level that have subcommands
a)do not have submenus and b)cannot be selected.
   Is this only me?  If not, is there a fix for this?  'cause I see no
point in keeping it if this problem is unfixable...thanks.

-JBZimmerman!

--
___________           | "Elephant- a mouse built to government
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

pv9y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (05/24/89)

In article <8419@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>Hello all.  This has probably been hashed out before, but...I got hold
>of hierDA 0.9967 recently and found that although it does a marvelous
>job of 'hierarchicalizing' the Apple menu, I have found that it has a
>serious limitation...it can only hierarchicalize ONE level, adn worse
>yet, if the command on the second level has further subcommands, even
>though it puts up an arrow next to the command, you can't select it.  If
>you do, it will simply vanish as though you had released the mouse while
>off the menu.  So, to clarify: I can only get one level down from the
>apple menu, and those commands on the second level that have subcommands
>a)do not have submenus and b)cannot be selected.
>   Is this only me?  If not, is there a fix for this?  'cause I see no
>point in keeping it if this problem is unfixable...thanks.
>
>-JBZimmerman!

I'm not bothered by only having one level on hierDA, but I've noticed a
few anomalies with hierDA.  It gets confused when Suitcase opens and
closes DAs between reboots, which isn't unreasonable, but it also doesn't
get along with Comment 2.0.  When Comment has a menu in the menu bar, the
Quit option is often grayed out and the only way to Quit out is to choose
the option from the hierDA menu.  Kind of a hassle.  Also, the AutoSave DA
that comes with WriteNow (at Cornell anyway), doesn't have a menu, but
hierDA gives it one, apparently from Camera or Snapshot or something like
that.  hierDA and HigherMenus INIT don't get along.  Holding down the
option key and selecting a hierarchical menu from the apple menu bombed the
machine every time.  Actually HigherMenus INIT is buggy anyway.  I stopped
using it because I got a lot more random crashes whenever I held down the
option key for any reason.  Otherwise a nice idea though.

Adam Engst

fromherz@unizh.UUCP (fromherz) (05/31/89)

Another problem with hierDA 0.9967:
  If the CPSSaveDeletes facility of MacTools (7.0 or 7.2) is installed,
  everything works fine until you try to undelete files. As soon as you
  choose "Undelete files" and select the "Save Deletes Method", the program
  crashes. If you temporarily remove hierDA (from the system folder and
  reboot), you can successfully undelete files.
  Apparently, hierDA does no harm to the normal "save deletes" process.

Markus P.J. Fromherz

fromherz@ifi.unizh.ch

arie@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (06/02/89)

...and another problem with HierDA v0.9967:

When using Allegro Common Lisp, starting the application should load a file
named init.lisp or init.Lisp that resides at the same level as Allegro CL.
Well, this doesn't happen when hierDA is active.  When deactivated, Allegro CL
finds init.lisp.

Arie Covrigaru
Cognitive Science and Machine Intelligence Laboratory, University of Michigan

t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (06/02/89)

Version .9967 is buggy. The latest version is .9978.  The problems I had with
MasterJuggler had to do with which one loaded first and I believe hierDA (now
called DA menuz) still needs to load before MasterJuggler.

.9978 adds a couple of features. One, you can select with modifier keys are
required to pop up the menu of menus. I can't remember what the other new
features are ( or if there really is others!)

I'll post it to sumex & comp.sys.mac unless someone already has.  The author
told me if .9978 doesn't have any bugs it'll become 1.0. I had a problem with
using the option key to set the default control panel item that comes up.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * UofU * t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu

jkjl@munnari.oz (John Lim) (06/02/89)

In article <299@unizh.UUCP> fromherz@ifi.unizh.ch () writes:
-Another problem with hierDA 0.9967:
-  If the CPSSaveDeletes facility of MacTools (7.0 or 7.2) is installed,
-  everything works fine until you try to undelete files. As soon as you
-  choose "Undelete files" and select the "Save Deletes Method", the program
-  crashes. If you temporarily remove hierDA (from the system folder and
-  reboot), you can successfully undelete files.
-  Apparently, hierDA does no harm to the normal "save deletes" process.

This doesnt happen to me with savedeletes v 2.0. A real bug is that the
Notification Mgr SICN is not displayed when NMInstall is called in 0.9967

	john lim