[comp.sys.mac] Recommended Low-cost 2400 baud Modems???

UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) (05/29/89)

I've seen a number of lower cost 2400 baud modems through various mail-
order houses, and I was wondering how reliable the modems are. What don't they
offer that the more expensive modems do? Can I get along without?

Please include brand names you'd recommend, and their prices and where to order
them. Thanks.

Eric Romo  (UD069925 at VM1.NODAK.EDU)

UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) (06/02/89)

In article <2319UD069225@NDSUVM1> I wrote:
>I've seen a number of lower cost 2400 baud modems through various mail-
>order houses, and I was wondering how reliable the modems are. What don't they
>offer that the more expensive modems do? Can I get along without?
>
>Please include brand names you'd recommend, and their prices and where to order
>them. Thanks.
>
>Eric Romo  (UD069925 at VM1.NODAK.EDU)

and I got these replies:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

mha@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Mark H. Anbinder) wrote:

The modem I bought over a year ago is Anchor Automation's 2400E, a
2400 baud external modem.  It lacks NOTHING that the more expensive
ones have, except for price.  It has all the features: 8 LEDs, power
on-off switch, internal speaker, volume knob, jack for telephone,
FULL Hayes command set (most "Hayes-compatibles" only have a PARTIAL
command set), auto-dial, auto-answer, etc., etc.  It sells for about
$140-180 from a couple of mail order places... though I don't know
which offhand.  Look through the magazines.  It DOES, however, have
a FIVE YEAR warranty.  It'll last longer than your computer.

I bought mine at a local dealer for $185.  If you want convenience
and good service, you may want to do the same.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and nghiem@emx.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) wrote:

The Zoom 2400 external is a good value at 129.00 or less. We have
had not problems with it.

If you want an MNP error correcting modem, a good modem is
the Everex 24E plus. Cost about 199.

However, check out the latest Electrified Discounters ad in the
latest Computer Shopper. A Genuine Microcom MNP 2400 is being
cleared out for 179.00 . I would go for this , if I didn't
have the Everex.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) wrote:

In article <2319UD069225@NDSUVM1> you write:

> I've seen a number of lower cost 2400 baud modems through various mail-
> order houses, and I was wondering how reliable the modems are. What
> don't they offer that the more expensive modems do? Can I get along
> without?

Well, let's see.  What you give up when you go to a bargain-basement
modem (at any specified speed) often includes some or all of the
following: in-use reliability (noise immunity), can-use-it reliability
(chance of the modem breaking), ergonomics (well-designed LEDs?  How's
the speaker?), error correction (MNP?  what level?  in the modem or in
software?), warranty period (1 year? 2? 5?), availability of service
(will the vendor be around in 2 years if/when the modem needs to be
repaired?).

Noise immunity is important.  2400-baud modems differ significantly in
their immunity to noise over both local and long-distance connections;
the differences can be striking.  I'm extremely leery of any modems
based on the CTS chip-set, as my own experience and that of others on
the Net suggest that this chipset is more vulnerable to line noise than
other designs.

MNP (error detection and correction) is a nice feature to have, if it's
implemented in the modem (rather than in host software).  It provides an
additional level of immunity against line noise;  the modems perform
some error-checking and will automatically retransmit garbled data.  MNP
is _not_ an adequate substitute for good fundamental noise immunity,
though... I'd rather use a "clean" modem without MNP than a noise-prone
one with MNP.  MNP buys you nothing if the modem at the other end of the
phone line doesn't support it.

Some modems have a good physical design... nice-looking cases, LEDs that
show you what you want to see, a decent-sounding line-monitor speaker
with a functional volume control.  Others are more poorly designed, and
omit some or all of the above.

If you see an inexpensive modem advertised under a brand-name that
you've never heard of before, you can usually assume that it's a
private-label version of one of several chipset/firmware combinations.
Some of these are quite functional and reliable;  others aren't so hot,
and (if their vendors go out of business) may be worthless in a year or
two.

As in all things, you tend to get what you pay for.  There's no way that
a $200 modem can offer everything that a $400 modem does... you'll lose
out somewhere, whether it be in electronic design, features, physical
design, ruggedness, or vendor support and service.

> Please include brand names you'd recommend, and their prices and where
> to order them. Thanks.

I think highly of U.S. Robotics; we've been using their Courier 2400e
modems (with MNP) for about 18 months, with very good results.  Out of
about 12 modems, we have had one failure; we returned it under the
3-year warranty, and it was immediately replaced.  USR modems aren't the
cheapest, but they're well-made, "clean", and (to date) have been quite
reliable.

I've heard people say good things about the Supra modem;  it's less
expensive and (I believe) less fancy than the USR Courier, but
apparently does a very good job and gives good value for the dollar.

Based on my experiences back in '87, I'd recommend avoiding any and all
modems based on the CTS chip-set (this includes CTS, Basic Time,
Bytecom, and quite a few others).  CTS sells their modems to a number of
other companies, which relabel them and [sometimes] add other features
to the modem firmware.  The OEM modems are in greyish rectangular
plastic cases, have a flat vertical front with red LEDs, are missing the
Transmit Data and Receive Data LEDs(!), and have a cheap speaker that's
capable of shrilling the wax out of your ears at 20 paces.

I don't have any up-to-date pricing or order information, I'm afraid.
You might want to post your question over in comp.dcom.modems;  somebody
there might have more recent info for you.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Douglas) wrote:

   I bought an Epic Classic II modem for my GS (internal 2400 baud) for about
   $185 or so and this included a $95 term program.  I reccomend Epic modems.
   They are low priced and this modem has performed flawlessly and has several
   features my older modems didn't have (busy detect etc..)

   Also, take a look at Supra modems. They are pretty good too.

   P.S.  The Epic 2400 baud comes in an external model.

    good luck!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) wrote:

I've been using a Practical Peripherals 2400 baud modem for a year with
no problems.
--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and well!svc@cogsci.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) wrote:

Eric,
        If price is a BIG consideration, than look into either the Supra or
the Zoom modems (I've heard <100, but don't know where..) BUT understand that
although they work alright if your phone lines are noisy they DO NOT DO WELL!
        If you don't mind spending a little more money, I would look at the
Practical Peripherals 2400 which is a VERY good 2400 baud modem and if you
check out places like MacConnection you can get it with software as well
(MicroPhone 1.5).
        Hope that helps...

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone Development Team
(yes, that does make me biased...)

Well that's all the replies I've gotten so far. I'm still like to hear any
other comments you have- either new ones or comments on these replies, so mail
away if you would. Thanks a bunch.

Eric Romo  ( UD069225 at VM1.NODAK.EDU )  (preferable, and probably faster)
              or   ( UD069225 at NDSUVM1.BITNET )