[comp.sys.mac] Bibliography programs

armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) (06/02/89)

there a clear winner? What shareware is available? Are the
commercial programs worth the price? What about Hypercard
programs? My own interest is for scholarship in the humanities,
but the experiences of people in the sciences may be helpful to
others. If you will Email to me, I will summarize to the net.
Thanks.
Stan Armstrong.
Religious Studies Dept
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, N.S.,CANADA, B3H 3C3
(902)420-5866

USENET: att!clyde!watmath!water!dalcs!armstrng
BITNET:ARMSTRONG@STMARYS.BITNET

armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) (06/02/89)

(Sorry about this repost. My editor seems to have eaten the
first line.)

What has your experience been with bibliography programs? Is

man@brunix (Mark H. Nodine) (06/02/89)

In article <3287@cs.dal.ca> armstrng@cs.dal.ca (Stan Armstrong) writes:
>there a clear winner? What shareware is available? Are the
>commercial programs worth the price? What about Hypercard
>programs?

I have looked at a number of bibliography programs and have found that
none of them were flexible enough for me.  I have written my own which
should allow complete flexibility for bibliographies, and it also has
the ability to define symbolic constants for figures, theorems, etc.
which can be referred to elsewhere in the document.  It works using
the print merge facility of Word 3/4.  It is going to beta-test
probably some time next week and will be distributed as shareware.

It consists of two parts: a HyperCard database for keeping the
bibliographic references and an application which scans the Word
document(s) and database(s) and compiles the references and
bibliography.  The databases scanned by the program are text files in
the BibTeX format which can be imported/exported into the Hypercard
stack.

	--Mark