[comp.sys.mac] Maintaining a Copyright

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (06/01/89)

In article <31668@apple.Apple.COM>, jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) writes:

> 	It has to do with the fact that Compuserve, Genie, and AppleLink all
> keep records of who have downloaded software from them and guarantee that
> folks see a license agreement from Apple before they download.  The US
> Copyright office says that if you are to maintain your copyright you have
> to maintain control over who receives your software.

	what strikes me as odd is that this would seem to imply that
	ShareWare (the way we know it and handle it) would cause loss
	of CopyRight.

	also, we know from the world of professional journals, the
	instructions that "CopyRight ACM; you may copy for non-profit
	as long as this Copyright notice is included".

	nowhere is there anyone keeping track of copies being created
	and I doubt that the CopyRight is being lost.

	I'm not saying that I know "which end is up", only that all of
	this strikes me as "odd" ...  but then, a lot of government
	edicts do!  :-)

PS: BTW, I get lots of cost-free untracked and untrackable paper
    publications and software, all of which are CopyRighted.  There
    can't be that many people who are living a dream ...  then there is
    music and film and pictures, and think of TV and radio emissions
    without any control or registration of the recipients;  no CopyRights
    lost there either.  I think there are too many overcautious legal
    eagles around who believe that saying NYET is the only safe way to
    avoid getting "pregnant" .....  that attitude can ruin your whole
    day!  :-)

--
INTERNET:    uhrig@mcc.com     (if unavailable: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)

LaserMan@cup.portal.com (Bob LaserMan Murrow) (06/03/89)

I was under the impression that the record keeping requirements from Apple
concerned the OS and its not being allowed export to certain countries. The
files that I have to post spend far more time on that than the copyright. But
then I could be wrong...smile....naw.
Bob Murrow
Sysop PhoenixII & IIa 408-252-6801 & 253-3926 Cupertino,ca
400 Megs online, no fee, full Fido Echo support.