[comp.sys.mac] Folders from Hell - Part II

heath@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Todd Heatherton) (05/25/89)

Two weeks ago I posted a request for help in dealing with some folders
which refused to die.  I had some good advice like rebuilding the
desktop or using disk repair (and from good people like Stephan Somogyi
at McUserLabs and Clark Anderson at apple.com).  Unfortunately, *NOTHING
WORKED*!!!  In fact, it gets weirder.

Summary of Problem - Five folders which will not disappear off an FX-60.
The five folders are empty except one which had an invisible file.  All
folders report being inited and changing that does not allow them to
be killed.

1.  Using MacTools I made a file which was in one the folders appear on
    the desktop.  You can throw the file in the trash and empty the
    trash.  The folder then says it has nothing in it and the trash
    says that it has nothing in it.  The next time you open the folder,
    the file will have reappered!

2.  There have been a mix of error messages.  When you try to throw out
    the folders via DeskTop 1.4, you get the message that the folder
    couldn't be thrown out (unknown error).  At other times it reports
    error -127.  (Once we got a -51 error message).

3.  Programs like SUM are unable to verify the volume (an FX-60).

4.  Disk Repair will not run on the volume - reports unable to verify.

Does anyone have any other things to try?  Should we just have her
reinitialize her hard disk.  She is starting to have weird system crashes
and is worried that existing files and programs will get messed up (she
does have the whole thing backed up on tape).

Todd Heatherton     Department of Psychology     University of Toronto

Phone:  416-978-6387 (office)       Email:  heath@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
        416-482-4847 (home)                 or heath@psych.utoronto.ca

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (05/26/89)

In article <1989May25.094147.5884@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> heath@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Todd Heatherton) writes:
>Summary of Problem - Five folders which will not disappear off an FX-60.

OK.  Here's something that i've tried with a "normal" folder, and i bet
it would work on one that's sold its soul.  Open ResEdit.  Select the
folder.  Choose CLEAR from the edit menu.  Click the OK button in the
dialog box that asks if you really want to delete it.  Voila.
--

                                               - Scott

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (05/26/89)

.ca (Todd Heatherton) writes:

>Summary of Problem - Five folders which will not disappear off an FX-60.
>The five folders are empty except one which had an invisible file.  All
>folders report being inited and changing that does not allow them to
>be killed.

I also have this problem.(System 6.02, a lot of inits & cdevs)
I've got a single folder on my HD and according to ResEdit, MacTools,
Fedit and MacSnoop (and many other pgms) this folder should be empty. However
Disktools II says that there are 3 items in the folder, but doesn't show them.

I have no problems to open the folder in finder or copy and delete files
I put in it. But there is no way to delete this weird folder in finder, or by
any of these programs: I always get a message of type -47, i.e. file is busy.

In article <1989May15.103346.5557@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, Todd writes:
>If she copies the folders to
>a floppy, she can see that there is nothing in the folders and can throw
>them out.

Maybe the best solution is to make a file by file backup of the drive using
e.g. Diskfit, reinitialize the drive and then reinstall all the files.

One question is: Is it possible to get a full backup (modulo the weird
folders) either by Diskfit (HD to Floppies) or Finder (HD to HD)?

But: Why does this happen? This is just as mysterious as the BNDL-bit-on-
-documents problem.

          /Olle

rcbaab@eutrc3.UUCP (Annard Brouwer) (05/26/89)

In article <1989May25.094147.5884@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> heath@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Todd Heatherton) writes:
>Does anyone have any other things to try?  Should we just have her
>reinitialize her hard disk.  She is starting to have weird system crashes
>and is worried that existing files and programs will get messed up (she
>does have the whole thing backed up on tape).

If you have the whole thing backed up on tape it wouldn't hurt to low-format
the drive... If the drive is corrupt you can find out by then and mark the bad
sectors.
Just my five cents of opinion...
Good luck!

name   		: Annard Brouwer	address: Dreef 74
BITNET		: RCGBBAAB@HEITUE51		 5504 LD Veldhoven
UUCP		: rcbaab@eutrc3.uucp		 the Netherlands
--

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/26/89)

> Two weeks ago I posted a request for help in dealing with some folders
> which refused to die.  I had some good advice like rebuilding the
> desktop or using disk repair (and from good people like Stephan Somogyi
> at McUserLabs and Clark Anderson at apple.com).  Unfortunately, *NOTHING
> WORKED*!!!  In fact, it gets weirder.

I've had problems like that in the past. Just last night in fact.
I usually just ignore it and try again later (after a re-boot)
and I've always been able to get rid of them.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

samalone@athena.mit.edu (Stuart A. Malone) (05/27/89)

>Todd Heatherton writes:
>
>Summary of Problem - Five folders which will not disappear off an FX-60.
>The five folders are empty except one which had an invisible file.  All
>folders report being inited and changing that does not allow them to
>be killed.

I'm pretty sure the program you need is Disk First Aid, which comes on one of
the Utilities disks from Apple.  I've found it to be effective against
mysteriously disappearing disk space (which happens only when I write buggy
Pascal code) and against Folders from Hell (which seems to happen at random).
These problems are different from the file recovery problems that other disk
utilities are designed to solve.

Boot from a floppy containing a System, Finder, and Disk First Aid.  Do not use
MultiFinder.  Run Disk First Aid, select the troublesome disk and click "Open",
check off the "Repair Automatically" menu option, and click "Start".  (If you
would like to see some status messages, you can type Command-S before you click
"Start", but this isn't necessary.)  Disk First Aid should solve your problem.

				--Stuart A. Malone
				samalone@athena.mit.edu

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (05/27/89)

In article <11696@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> samalone@athena.mit.edu (Stuart A.
Malone) writes:
>>Todd Heatherton writes:
>>
>>Summary of Problem - Five folders which will not disappear off an FX-60.
>>The five folders are empty except one which had an invisible file.  All
>>folders report being inited and changing that does not allow them to
>>be killed.
>
>I'm pretty sure the program you need is Disk First Aid, which comes on one of
>the Utilities disks from Apple.  I've found it to be effective against
>mysteriously disappearing disk space (which happens only when I write buggy
>Pascal code) and against Folders from Hell (which seems to happen at random).

No, it doesn't work. I've tried with both version 1.2 and 1.41. Disk First Aid
says that the disk could not be verified. I've also tried DeskZap.

Todd Heatherton also writes:
>Should we just have her
>reinitialize her hard disk.  She is starting to have weird system crashes
>and is worried that existing files and programs will get messed up (she
>does have the whole thing backed up on tape).

 Are you sure that the backup does not contain the weird folder in embryo?
If the backup does not contain the weird folder the answer is YES.
Otherwise: what sort of backup are you talking about?
 I've just removed my weird folder by reformatting the disk. I used DiskFit to
backup and restore all my files. Diskfit uses a file by file strategy so no
damaged file or folder could be copied.
  If the backup is a facebackup (block by block) the problem will probably
show up again.

           /Olle

heath@utpsych.toronto.edu (Todd Heatherton) (05/28/89)

In article <11696@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> samalone@athena.mit.edu (Stuart A. Malone) writes:
>>Todd Heatherton writes:
>>
>>Summary of Problem - Five folders which will not disappear off an FX-60.
>>The five folders are empty except one which had an invisible file.  All
>>folders report being inited and changing that does not allow them to
>>be killed.
>
>I'm pretty sure the program you need is Disk First Aid, which comes on one of
>the Utilities disks from Apple.  I've found it to be effective against
>mysteriously disappearing disk space (which happens only when I write buggy
>Pascal code) and against Folders from Hell (which seems to happen at random).
>These problems are different from the file recovery problems that other disk
>utilities are designed to solve.
>
>Boot from a floppy containing a System, Finder, and Disk First Aid.  Do not use
>MultiFinder.  Run Disk First Aid, select the troublesome disk and click "Open",
>check off the "Repair Automatically" menu option, and click "Start".  (If you
>would like to see some status messages, you can type Command-S before you click
>"Start", but this isn't necessary.)  Disk First Aid should solve your problem.

This was completely unsuccesful since Disk First Aid said it was unable
to verify the disk.  The repair automatically feature didn't do a thing.
I have received detailed and excellent advice on fixing the problem
using resedit or SUM tools and will try this on Monday.  This is certainly
a strange problem, but from the mail I've received it apprears that it
is not a unique problem.  I will save net space by summarizing the
solution when one is found (and, of course, if all else fails I will
use a quick slap to the side of the computer--that always worked with
old televisions :-))

Thanks to all who have offered aid--it certainly is a puzzling case

storm@sun209..nas.nasa.gov (Steve Storm) (06/02/89)

I too have folders that won't go away because they are always busy and
never empty.  Very strange.  I'm almost glad that others are having the
same problem.  Makes me feel it's not something dumb I have done to the
Mac.  The only answer I know is full backup, initialization, and restore.
I've avoded doing that out of laziness and frustration. ("D**n it, I
_SHOULD_ be able to erase those folders!")  So they live in another
folder called "Should be empty" until someone finds a more elegant
solution.

As we endure storms,     |  storm@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov
So we receive rainbows.  |  (415) 694-4334

cousens@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Scott Cousens) (06/03/89)

In article <2164@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> storm@sun209..nas.nasa.gov (Steve Storm) writes:

> I too have folders that won't go away because they are always busy and
> never empty.  Very strange.  I'm almost glad that others are having the

I have missed much of the discussion on this, so I apologize if this
has already been mentioned.  The folders possibly have hidden files.
Use MacTools (files only) or ResEdit to make the invisible folders or
file visible, and then delete them.  Hope this helps.
Scott.
--
Scott Cousens  (The Fuz)            | "Real users never know what they want,
cousens@hardees.rutgers.edu         |  BUT, they know how to complain when