[comp.sys.mac] My SE/30 and the games it wont run :

cyosta@taux01.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ) (05/31/89)

Well, my spanking new SE/30 is here, and most stuff seems to work just
fine.  The problems I have encountered with games are not half as bad
as I have been led to believe but I would like to share them with you
anyway.

1) Beyond Dark Castle - This is *NOT* a complaint.  Actually it works
   just fine, well, better then fine as it doesn't require me to boot
   from a no-INIT disk anymore!  Just like on a MacII!
2) Arkanoid - The game *DOES* work on a MacII but not on a SE/30.  I
   looked through it with Nosy and found that it checks for machine
   type with _SysEnvirons, it compares to 4 and assumes an "old" machine
   if they don't match.  Anyway, I patched it to compare to 7 (SE/30)
   and now it starts but dies without ever displaying anything.
3) Apache Strike - no go.  Again, I looked through it, patched a
   few calls (mostly to sound and those that check that an alternate
   buffer is available).  Result: game starts, even "plays" but the
   flying display is missing.  It will play the sounds of battle as
   well as navigate (blindly) but not show you anything.
4) Crystal Quest (2.2c) complains that there are problems and asks
   if I want to take a chance and continue.  I answer that I do and
   the game works except that (1) no sound is generated and (2) the
   mouse movement seems a little sluggish.

Any help with any of the above will be appreciated.

The only other program that doesn't work too well, and it isn't even a
program, is BackDrop.  So, Tim, when do you release a version that works
on a SE/30 as well?

One more problem which might just be me is Clipboard Magician which blows
up on some functions.  Since I never tried it on anything but a Mac SE/30
this might be a general bug rather then a SE/30 compatibility bug.

- Yossie
--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (06/02/89)

In article <1789@taux01.UUCP> cyosta%taux01@nsc.COM ( Yossie Silverman ) writes:
> [games that don't work on an SE/30]
>4) Crystal Quest (2.2c) complains that there are problems and asks
>   if I want to take a chance and continue.  I answer that I do and
>   the game works except that (1) no sound is generated and (2) the
>   mouse movement seems a little sluggish.

Hmmm, my SE/30 runs Crystal Quest just fine; no complaints or messages,
complete with sound.  I'll see if I can remember to check my version and
see if it's 2.2c or not.  About the sluggish mouse movement:  Do you realize
that the mouse does not directly control your player?  It's more of a
velocity controller.  I suspect that what you call "sluggish" is actually
the correct behavior.

A few games to add to the "not on an SE/30" list:

1) Dark castle.  Strange complaints about memory.

2) GATO.  Totally dead.

3) Falcon 2.0.  The heads up display has the most annoying flicker.  I
   actually called Spectrum Holobyte about this, and they said they were
   working on the problem, and put my name on a list of people to receive
   the upgrade when they'd fixed it.  That was over a month ago.

4) MacinTalk.  MacNoTalk.  (Orbiter without the voice of Mission Control is
   surprisingly less interesting to play.)
   The Mac "gurus" that I've talked to say that Macintalk is an unsupported
   product.  Am I totally SOL here, or is there some kind soul out there
   in MacLand who can offer me some hope?

--James Preston

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (06/04/89)

In article <851@key.COM> jsp@penguin.key.COM (James Preston) writes:
>A few games to add to the "not on an SE/30" list:
>
>2) GATO.  Totally dead.

Try it under MultiFinder -- seems to work for me.  (Strangest fix I've ever
seen...)

                           "I believe in going to church every Sunday ...
                            unless there's a game on."
                                           -- Steve Martin
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...