[comp.sys.mac] Perfect Timing

kam@myrias.UUCP (Kent McPhee) (05/23/89)

   "Honey, are you coming?"
   "Just a minute, dear, I just have to save this game!"
   Ker-chunk, Ker-chunk, Ker-chunk, ....

   "Oh, Oh..."

   So there goes the hard drive, whip out the Apple Care
   warantee, and guess what!  IT EXPIRED YESTERDAY!

   Does anybody out there know where Apple puts the date of
   delivery?  Is in an EPROM cleverly disguised as a
   capacitor?  A special reserved word on every hard disk
   they sell?   My congratulations goes to the Apple whiz
   who thought of this scam ;-)

--

Kent McPhee
Myrias Research Corporation

sklein@cdp.UUCP (05/24/89)

Many Apple dealers will fix a machine that is just a few days out of
warrantee.  Bring it in and bitch.  (well, ask politely first.  if they
say no, then bitch).

If they don't want to fix it, pay for the repair and write a letter to
John Sculley asking to have the repair cost rebated.  I bet they'll do it.
 -shabtai

martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) (05/24/89)

For the past few weeks we've been using Liaison and Microcom QX V.32 modems.
It seem every so often our Mac IIx's lock up or refuse to answer the
incoming phone calls.

Anybody else using Liaison?  I like to pick your brain and see if its
our setup or a software conflict some where.  We're still doing some
tests....maybe we'll get some positive results.....

tektronix!reed!  omen   !bucket!martyl  (Marty Lee)
              \        /
               percival

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (05/25/89)

In article <1218@myrias.UUCP> kam@myrias.UUCP (Kent McPhee) writes:

<   So there goes the hard drive, whip out the Apple Care
<   warantee, and guess what!  IT EXPIRED YESTERDAY!

<   Does anybody out there know where Apple puts the date of
<   delivery?  Is in an EPROM cleverly disguised as a
<   capacitor?  A special reserved word on every hard disk
<   they sell?   My congratulations goes to the Apple whiz
<   who thought of this scam ;-)

And next week you'll get a notice from Apple that it is about to expire
(from past experience).

Shirley

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (05/29/89)

> Re:  Apple Hard Drive fails 1 day out of warranty.

The Moral:  Don't buy Apple Hard Drives!  If you buy elsewhere, you'll
get a 1,2, or 5-year warranty, not a skimpy 90-day warranty.
Furthermore, you can get the same Quantum drives, or sometimes other
drives with faster seek times and/or superior software support!

How much will all these extra benefits cost?  Oh, about -100 to -200
bucks!  Use the money you save to throw a party!

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

Cj.Flynn@f823.n102.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Cj Flynn) (05/30/89)

As I understand it, the Apple people are quite lenient to dates to some
degree...obviously, there could be no hardware implementation of the
actual delivery date to you, which is all that matters in the state of
California.  This is also the reason that Warrenty cards are used.  This
is also the reason that they wil ask fr a copy of your reciept, which
is the only real way a manufacturer c.
So just give it a try and don't spread any bad rumors...Good luck.

--
Cj Flynn  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!102!823!Cj.Flynn

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K Shull) (05/30/89)

In article <8400110@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>> Re:  Apple Hard Drive fails 1 day out of warranty.
>
>The Moral:  Don't buy Apple Hard Drives!  If you buy elsewhere, you'll
>get a 1,2, or 5-year warranty, not a skimpy 90-day warranty.
>Furthermore, you can get the same Quantum drives, or sometimes other
>drives with faster seek times and/or superior software support!

One thing to watch for: repair cost. I've heard people talking about
getting their Apple hard drives repaired for $200 or so (don't know if
this is the standard charge). Anyway, my CMS internal (Rodime mechanism)
failed the classic one day out of warranty (1 year). I paid a little over
$1000 for the drive. They wanted to charge me $800 plus labor for the
repair.
BTW, Rodime will apparently repair a drive that they manufactured, even
if it was sold by another company. Their charge: $219 (quite a profit
CMS must make on repairs!).
	Robert
Also, if anyone knows about a drive that has superior software support
(A/UX, real partitions, etc.) that still has a good price, let me know.
The CMS software stinks.
--
Robert K. Shull
sun!texsun!uokmax!rob

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (05/31/89)

In article <8400110@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>> Re:  Apple Hard Drive fails 1 day out of warranty.
>
>The Moral:  Don't buy Apple Hard Drives!  If you buy elsewhere, you'll
>get a 1,2, or 5-year warranty, not a skimpy 90-day warranty.

What happens when the warranty runs out and the drive breaks but the
company can't repair it because they're no longer using the same
manufacturer, or the manufacturer is out of business?  Companies
frequently change manufacturers.  "We're sorry, but you'll just have
to buy a new drive."  This happened to some people i know.
Chances are, Apple will be around for a while in case you need parts or
something.

>How much will all these extra benefits cost?  Oh, about -100 to -200
>bucks!  Use the money you save to throw a party!

Better save it.  You may need it when the warranty runs out.
--

                                               - Scott

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (06/02/89)

/* Written 12:21 pm  May 30, 1989 by englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU in p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
> What happens when the warranty runs out and the drive breaks but the
> company can't repair it because they're no longer using the same
> manufacturer, or the manufacturer is out of business?  Companies
> frequently change manufacturers.  "We're sorry, but you'll just have
> to buy a new drive."  This happened to some people i know.
> Chances are, Apple will be around for a while in case you need parts or
> something.

> Better save it.  You may need it when the warranty runs out.

AAAAUUUGGGGHHH!!!! What happens when the big floods comes and you don't
have tickets on Noah's Arc!!!!???

I can't save your friends from a slimey irresponsible companies.  Is
Apple the only reputable company in the world?  Does Apple charge less
than everyone else for repairs??!??!!!  Does Apple still fix
serial-port disk drives (circa 1985)??!!

Here's what your friends can do.

1.  Throw it away.  If the drive mechanism fails 2 years down the
road, for the price of a repair you can probably buy a *new* *faster*
*higher capacity* drive!

2.  If the electronics in the controller fails (not a head crash), and
there's a cheap fix, AND you drive manufacturer has folded (who says
Apple will last longer than CMS?), get the drive manufacturer to
repair it.  Quantum Rodime Seagate MiniScribe etc etc etc.  If it's a
standard part (not a gate array or custom IC), any hacker / competant
computer repair center can diagnose & fix it.

3.  What gives you the idea that *Apple* will be willing to fix your
drive if it breaks 3 years from now?  Chances are, they'll drop in a
new (pick one: power supply, case, controller, drive unit), and charge
you more than the cost of the original drive!  Have you ever known
Apple products or repair services to be a good deal?

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (06/04/89)

In article <126900026@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>3.  What gives you the idea that *Apple* will be willing to fix your
>drive if it breaks 3 years from now?  Chances are, they'll drop in a
>new (pick one: power supply, case, controller, drive unit), and charge
>you more than the cost of the original drive!  Have you ever known
>Apple products or repair services to be a good deal?

For example...

My SE died three days before the warranty expired; my Laserwriter+
died two days later. Best thing that could have happened to me!
I ended up with new analog and video cards (which included the newer,
quieter fan) and a LaserWriter II. I have no complaints about Apple's
service (I got the Mac back in a day; the printer took a little wrangling,
until they admitted they couldn't fix it).

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X