[comp.sys.mac] large screen strategies

martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) (06/01/89)

***
*** In article <40384@tiger.oxy.edu>,
*** hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) writes:
***

>I was down at the UCLA computer store the other day. They have an Apple RGB
>monitor and a portrait display hooked up to a IIcx. However, they only run
>RGB monitor on the machine. When I asked them why they didn't have the
>portrait monitor running also, they said that there was interference between
>the two monitors that caused both screens to jump around and generally
>render them both ineffective.......

>...... open to more legal action :-), here is another question. I have seen
>reports on local BBSs that there is a problem with the IIcx power supply. It
>is reportedly so underpowered that it can't handle two NuBus cards at the
>same time (hey! maybe that's what's causing the problems at UCLA, hmmmmm.)
>Anyway, they also say that since the fan blows directly through the FDHD,

The problem between the portrait and color monitor is real, but it is due to
the proximity of the two monitors on the desk, if you separate the monitors
the shakiness goes away.  It is some form of electromagnetic interference.

As far as the other problems you mention I have heard that the power supply is
underrated but it takes more than 2 nubus cards to pull it down, more like 3
and a couple of external floppies.  And from what I've seen the fan does pull
a lot of air through the drive port, so don't smoke in front of your machine
8-) (not a good idea anyway for you or your machine.)

Marty Adelman
cpl-mfh!martya@cs.buffalo.edu

raday@thunder.UUCP (Alan Day) (06/01/89)

I tried to send the following message earlier but our mailer here was
greatly $##$$%% and NO postnews articles got out at all. Now (???) the
system is properly so here goes agaqin

I am the proud (power, lust, greed, joy, etc. ) new owner of a Mac IIx with
an Apple 21" moniter. After 5 years of the old Mac screen, this BIG screen
is awesome.

What I would like to know is what utilities - screen savers, finder
replacements
, etc people on the net have found useful in this Large environment. What
screen "strategies" save mouse wear and tear?

I've already installed Larry Rosenstein's Application menu and that is indeed
treat!! Thanks Larry. Has anyone extended this to the whole menu bar?

One point that Word better fix in 4.0 is their horrible use of the large
screen and their documents inability to remember old screen positions. (Unless
I missed t~rhis in the documentation :-))

I realize that these things have been discussed before but then my envy stopped
me from saving the comments. To save cluttering this group, comments can be
E-mailed to me and I'll summarize for the net.

BTW: I've noticed no flicker in the monitor, but have no competing electronic
equipment near by.

        Alan Day
        raday@lakehead.bitnet
        raday@thunder.usenet
        raday@thunder.lakeheadu.ca

I now have Word 4.0: +10 for tables, -15 for their user interface.

	Alan

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (06/01/89)

I was down at the UCLA computer store the other day. They have an Apple RGB
monitor and a portrait display hooked up to a IIcx. However, they only run
RGB monitor on the machine. When I asked them why they didn't have the
portrait monitor running also, they said that there was interference between
the two monitors that caused both screens to jump around and generally
render them both ineffective. They powered up the portrait monitor for m
and sure enough, the screens were jumping all over the place. What I want to
know is this: Is this symptomatic of a problem in the RGB monitor/Portrait
monitor, or do they just have a defective item?  Is anyone out there running
an RGB monitor in conjunction with a Portrait or Workstation monitor? What a
are your experiences? To feed even more grist into the rumor mill and put
myself open to more legal action :-), here is another question. I have seen
reports on local BBSs that there is a problem with the IIcx power supply. It
is reportedly so underpowered that it can't handle two NuBus cards at the
same time (hey! maybe that's what's causing the problems at UCLA, hmmmmm.)
Anyway, they also say that since the fan blows directly through the FDHD,
dust builds up quickly and can cause the FDHD an early and spectacular
demise. Again any experiences, comments, flames, are all welcome. BTW, I
HOPE all this is incorrect as I may be getting a IIcx in the near future, so
I hope that it is an all right little beastie. (Of course, maybe I should
wait until August and the 25NHz machine.)

norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (06/04/89)

From article <40384@tiger.oxy.edu>, by hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr):
> HOPE all this is incorrect as I may be getting a IIcx in the near future, so
> I hope that it is an all right little beastie. (Of course, maybe I should
> wait until August and the 25NHz machine.)
                            ^^^^^
This better be the << $1000 Mac because a 25 nano Hz machine is gonna
be sooooo slow :-)

I couldn't resist 8-).
+Norm
--
Norman Graham                            Oklahoma State University
  Internet:  norman@a.cs.okstate.edu     Computing and Information Sciences