[comp.sys.mac] ResEdit and Multifinder

steve@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Steve Harpster) (05/30/89)

The "Macintosh Bible" says you should never ever, under any circumstances,
even consider using ResEdit while under Multifinder.  Why?  Do they really
mean "don't edit the desktop"?  I edit (normal) resource files all the
time under Multifinder with no problems.  The book isn't too clear on this
point (I guess they figure that people who use ResEdit day-to-day won't
be reading the "Macintosh Bible").  What's the scoop?

Re: using ResEdit under MultiFinder.

"Macintosh Bible" probably warns against this because many of the
common uses of ResEdit could cause trouble when used this way.  You
probably shouldn't edit the resources of an application that's
running, for example.  But a common use of ResEdit is to edit the
resources of the Finder (e.g. to change the LAYO resource).  Also,
some types of editing may produce confusing results; for example,
changing icons in an application may not take effect, because the
Finder caches the icons when it starts up.

Presumably the intended audience of this book is not expected to be
knowledgeable about these interactions.  If you believe you understand
them, then do as you like.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

ge@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) (06/05/89)

In article <1368@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> steve@tellab5.UUCP (Steve Harpster) writes:

>The "Macintosh Bible" says you should never ever, under any circumstances,
>even consider using ResEdit while under Multifinder.

Perhaps you should view the Macintosh Bible in the same light as many Christians
view the real Bible: not as source of exact, scientific information.
I never have problems using ResEdit under MF. Just don't EDIT the system file
etc. You get a warning anyway. (as a matter of fact, some resources in the
system file can be changed without risk. Keep a copy of the full system file
around, just in case. Boot from a floppy when you make the copy.)

Ge' Weijers                                        Internet/UUCP:
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,       ge@cs.kun.nl
University of Nijmegen                             (ge%cs.kun.nl@uunet.uu.net)
Toernooiveld 1