[comp.sys.mac] Directing printer output

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (06/01/89)

In article <1110@draken.nada.kth.se>, d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
> In article <4276@druhi.ATT.COM> suelh@druhi.ATT.COM (Sue Hendrix) writes:

> >I have a friend who would like to take printer output and direct it to a disk
> >file, primarily to save Infocom game scripts to an editable file.

> Easy way ? Nope. Apart from encapsulating the PostScript(TM) that should
> have gone to the LaserWriter, if you use the Standard Print Package (i.e.
> "Print" in most DTP, Word Processing and Graphic Design programs) there is
> no easy way to redirect data from the printer to disk.

	maybe, you could use a print-spooler like DiskFit and check
	out if the spooled data can be easily inspected.

	then there is the pseudo-printer driver Preview, which allows
	you to display printer output on the screen;  maybe it can be
	mucked to give you disk output that is useful.

	there is something else, but I can't think of it at the moment ...

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    uhrig@mcc.com     (if unavailable: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) (06/06/89)

In article <1110@draken.nada.kth.se>, d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
> In article <4276@druhi.ATT.COM> suelh@druhi.ATT.COM (Sue Hendrix) writes:
> >I have a friend who would like to take printer output and direct it to a disk
> >file, primarily to save Infocom game scripts to an editable file.
> Easy way ? Nope. Apart from encapsulating the PostScript(TM) that should
> have gone to the LaserWriter, if you use the Standard Print Package (i.e.
> "Print" in most DTP, Word Processing and Graphic Design programs) there is
> no easy way to redirect data from the printer to disk.
<
Except to use a printer driver which saves to disk, instead of printing.

Glue (and its successor SuperGlue) from Solutions,Inc. does exactly that.
You can even save as text directly.

Standard (Dis)claimer apply.
--
Matthias Urlichs -- Humboldtstrasse 7 -- 7500 Karlsruhe 1 -- FRG
urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de -- ++49+721-621127@PTT