[comp.sys.mac] SuperPaint 2.0 troubles...

humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) (05/28/89)

Hello. I'm having some problems with SuperPaint 2.0. I've been drawing
many detailed objects and I find that occasionally, SuperPaint shifts some
of the lines in the object a little bit between saves. For example, I might
have something that has a whole bunch of evenly spaced lines inside of a
square. I save the document and come back the next day to find that now
the lines are off by one pixel. Sometime this problem compounds itself if I
don't fix the image- i.e. next time I look the lines are misaligned by
another pixel.

Strangely enough, this only happens with some of my objects - but often with
copies of one particular object. Some possible related weirdness relates to
the scrapbook/clipboard. I can paste "good" object to the scrapbook. Then
when SuperPaint screws up my original, I've tried copying the "good" one
from the scrapbook. The paste from the scrapbook into SuperPaint looks just
like the screwy image all of a sudden. When I paste from the scrapbook into
Word, the object looks fine.
I've noticed a time or two that all of the objects look fine on the screen,
but when I print them, the objects on the printout are slightly shifted. I
look back at the screen and their OK. (The problem does not coincide with
printing, by the way).
I've had to spend many hours correcting my objects after this happened (they
are somewhat detailed - a lot of "Group"s of smaller objects).
Am I just doing something stupid? Is there something else I should be doing
that I'm not? Is there something I shouldn't be doing? Is this a bug?

Please someone set me straight!

Please e-mail responses if possible as I can't usually keep up with the
high traffic in this newsgroup...

Thanx!

Mark Frost
	Office of the the Computing Coordinator
	Humanities Division
	University of California at Santa Cruz
Internet: humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU
Bitnet: humtech@ucschu.bitnet
Uucp: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucschu!humtech

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/29/89)

> I'm having some problems with SuperPaint 2.0. I've been drawing
> many detailed objects and I find that occasionally, SuperPaint shifts some
> of the lines in the object a little bit between saves...

We've found SP2.0 very buggy, including the one mentioned above. The program
is also *SLOWWW*--to the point of unusability (and I have a Mac II). If there
is more than a a few objects, the program just dies. For that reason, as a
draw program, I prefer MacDraw II, although SuperPaint has better tool. If
we didn't have so much invested in SuperPaint, I'd switch to Canvas or
something...

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (05/31/89)

in article <7707@saturn.ucsc.edu>, humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) says:
> Hello. I'm having some problems with SuperPaint 2.0. I've been drawing
> many detailed objects and I find that occasionally, SuperPaint shifts some
> of the lines in the object a little bit between saves. For example, I might
> have something that has a whole bunch of evenly spaced lines inside of a
> square. I save the document and come back the next day to find that now
> the lines are off by one pixel. Sometime this problem compounds itself if I
> don't fix the image- i.e. next time I look the lines are misaligned by
> another pixel.

I have noticed this bug.  There is also another cute bug.
Take a bunch of objects and group them together in the draw layer.
Then slant the object.  Next scale the selection to say 200% in each
direction.  Then UNDO the scaling.  The grouped object will have some
pieces draw properly and others will not be slanted.  Plus if you ungroup
the new object and select one of the pieces that is no longer slanted, the
select box will appear in the proper slanted position.

Joe Gunoz		joseph@cooper.cooper.edu

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (05/31/89)

In article <7707@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:

<I've noticed a time or two that all of the objects look fine on the screen,
<but when I print them, the objects on the printout are slightly shifted. I
<look back at the screen and their OK. (The problem does not coincide with
<printing, by the way).
<I've had to spend many hours correcting my objects after this happened (they
<are somewhat detailed - a lot of "Group"s of smaller objects).
<Am I just doing something stupid? Is there something else I should be doing
<that I'm not? Is there something I shouldn't be doing? Is this a bug?

<Please e-mail responses if possible as I can't usually keep up with the
<high traffic in this newsgroup...

 Please post also. We're having the same problems. One writer put it this
 way: To get it to print correctly, it has to look messy on the screen.

Shirley Kehr

florianb@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM (Florian Bell) (06/03/89)

Regarding the printing problems with SuperPaint 2.0.  I get little dots
printed in places where there aren't any on the screen.  What you see
is not what you get. Or what you see is what you get with a little more
(WYSIWYGWALM).

Please post solutions to me also.  Thanks.

steveg@janus.uucp (Steve Goldfield) (06/06/89)

In article <4049@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM> florianb@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM (Florian Bell) writes:
#>Regarding the printing problems with SuperPaint 2.0.  I get little dots
#>printed in places where there aren't any on the screen.  What you see
#>is not what you get. Or what you see is what you get with a little more
#>(WYSIWYGWALM).

#>Please post solutions to me also.  Thanks.

I've noticed this also with SuperPaint 1.0. What I think happens
is that in certain modes, the user inadvertently clicks the mouse
and turns on just a few pixels, which are hard to see on the screen.
If you zoom in on the area of the document where the dots appear,
you can usually find them and remove them with a lasso. Another
way to spot them is to select all, then deselect, zoom in and
just select that dot. I assume you are talking about such random
dots and not the grid dots which sometimes print, too. Probably
the dots are in the paint layer, but if you can't remove them
there, try the draw layer, too.

Perhaps what is more accurate is that what you see isn't always
everything that's there (WYSIAETT) or what you can't see may
appear if you zoom in (WYCSMAIYZ).

Steve Goldfield

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (06/06/89)

In article <4049@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM> florianb@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM (Florian Bell) writes:
<Regarding the printing problems with SuperPaint 2.0.  I get little dots
<printed in places where there aren't any on the screen.  What you see
<is not what you get. Or what you see is what you get with a little more
<(WYSIWYGWALM).
<
<Please post solutions to me also.  Thanks.

This happened to me but it was because the tool stays selected (unless
you change it). I was in the habit of clicking a blank area to deselect
what I had just drawn. When you turn off the grid you can really see
all the little dots this leaves strewn about.

(Is strewn a word? Oh well, if VersaTerm had a spell checker it probably
wouldn't be in the dictionary)

Shirley