[comp.sys.mac] Problems with video

ruff@topaz.rutgers.edu (Phil Ruff) (06/07/89)

The monitor on my Mac 512KE stays off unless I hit it or turn it on its
side. Thinking that the problem was a simple loose connection inside
the Mac, I opened the machine, but found nothing loose. The closest I came
to finding the problem was that the connector running from the analog
board to the tube (labelled "J2") seemed to turn on the monitor if pulled
closer to the tube. Have you gopt any idea how to get the monitor
connected again? Thanks...

Phil Ruff
ruff@topaz.rutgers.edu

afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster) (06/07/89)

In article <Jun.6.23.19.29.1989.26605@topaz.rutgers.edu> ruff@topaz.rutgers.edu (Phil Ruff) writes:
>The monitor on my Mac 512KE stays off unless I hit it or turn it on its
>side. Thinking that the problem was a simple loose connection inside
>the Mac, I opened the machine, but found nothing loose. The closest I came
>to finding the problem was that the connector running from the analog
>board to the tube (labelled "J2") seemed to turn on the monitor if pulled
>closer to the tube. Have you gopt any idea how to get the monitor
>connected again? Thanks...
>
>Phil Ruff
>ruff@topaz.rutgers.edu

Hi Phil,

Yep your problem is loose solder joints on your analog board.

You can re-solder them yourself if you dont mind getting into
the mac.

Re-solder all the joints that are connected to the plastic connectors
as they all seem to crack and cause bad connections.

I have done it on several macs and it works every time.

Pay special atteintion to the outer joints as they always seem
to go first.  If you use a solder with about a 2% copper
the joints seem to last a lot longer.

The problem itself is with the different co-efficients of
expansion for the board and the connectors.  The thing
that gives way are the solder joints.

Hope that helps...

Regards

Allan Foster
afoster@cse.ogc.edu

--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
CSNet : afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER