[comp.sys.mac] Dead Mac II's

juliem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Julie Mixon) (06/07/89)

Dead Mac II's
We have been having some problems with our Mac II's recognizing their
hard disc's. We have two dead at the moment and one has been flaky              for quite some time. Our machines are Mac II's with one internal floppy
disc drive. They have 40MByte hard discs. We called the dealer and all
he recommended was swapping hard discs. We would only like to do this
as a last resort.

Any other ideas or solutions? Or have you also had this problem?

roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) (06/07/89)

In article <780008@hpvcfs1.HP.COM>, juliem@hpvcfs1 (Julie Mixon) writes:
|We have been having some problems with our Mac II's recognizing their
|hard disc's. We have two dead at the moment and one has been flaky              for quite some time. Our machines are Mac II's with one internal floppy

|Any other ideas or solutions? Or have you also had this problem?

I had the same problem a couple of months ago.  I just got the bloody thing
to spin up, get recognized, AND have not turned it off since.  I use the
Apple HD initializer to get it to recognize the HD, then canceled out of
the initialization process.

I'm hoping that running it for a while (6 months or so) will either burn past
the built up oil or Quantum will recall them (I'm not holding my breath
though :-).

Good Luck,

John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714
Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu

sam@intek01.UUCP (Sam Felton) (06/08/89)

In article <780008@hpvcfs1.HP.COM>, juliem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Julie Mixon) writes:
> he recommended was swapping hard discs. We would only like to do this
> as a last resort.

Why not swap? It is not really a big deal. All you have to do is remove two screws and pop off a couple of connectors.

However, I have had this happen on my mac II at home twice, and in neither case
was there any problem with the hard disk (a Seagate ST-157N MLC-1). Both times
this happened to me, the NCR SCSI chip was at fault and a motherboard swap was
the only way to fix it.

I do suggest trying the hard disk swap yourself to prove that there is no disk
failure, however. Believe me, even for hardware-phobes this is not difficult.

			---Sam---

//	I drove all over Hollywood, looking at the stars,                    //
//      First I ate my Milky Way, then I ate my Mars;                        //
//	Sucking on a Galaxy, I noticed something pretty bizzare:             //
//	There's not a lot of people there, just an awful lot of cars...      //
//                                           ---Thomas Dolby                 //