[comp.sys.mac] What's the NeVR init do?

co111abn@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (David Hill) (06/04/89)

I just got the NeVR init, but it doesn't seem to DO anything.  Not
on startup, not on shutdown, nothin'.  What's up?  I'm using a Mac
Plus with System 6.0.

Please mail replies to:

dhill@ucsd.edu
dhill@ucsd.bitnet

Thanks!

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David L. Williams) (06/06/89)

The NevR init changes your title bars to a sort of pseudo NeXT look. What
you really want is the MainWDEF init by jbx and Eric. A much nicer
implementation of the NeXT style. Changes the title bar window outline
on ALL windows.

-David

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (06/07/89)

In article <11540186@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David L. Williams) writes:
>The NevR init changes your title bars to a sort of pseudo NeXT look. What
>you really want is the MainWDEF init by jbx and Eric. A much nicer
>implementation of the NeXT style. Changes the title bar window outline
>on ALL windows.

Sadly, MainWDEF looks lousy when you change the colors of the scroll
bar control on a Mac II.  While NeVR doesn't look as much like the
bar.

Does anyone know how these work?  Is it done by installing a new
WDEF into the system, or by trapping WDEF executions?

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (06/08/89)

In article <1406@marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce@Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
>Sadly, MainWDEF looks lousy when you change the colors of the scroll
>bar control on a Mac II.  While NeVR doesn't look as much like the
>bar.
>Does anyone know how these work?  Is it done by installing a new
>WDEF into the system, or by trapping WDEF executions?

It patches GetResource so that when called with a resource type='WDEF' and id=0,
it returns a handle to a custom WDEF.
The custom WDEF is loaded into the system heap and detached from the INITs resource
file (so that it stays around after the file is closed).

For some reason, this INIT also patches LoadResource.  It seems that patching
GetResource ought to be adequate.  Does anyone know why LoadResource is patched
as well?

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)