[comp.sys.mac] SE/30 problem with external SCSI drive

engber@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Engber) (05/31/89)

Has anyone else had problems booting an SE/30 with an external SCSI
drive attached, but not powered up. This seems like the same problem
a mac+ with old ROMs has. Did Apple make the same mistake twice?
(the drive I used was a CMS 40M)
-ME

lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/31/89)

In article <7598@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
>Has anyone else had problems booting an SE/30 with an external SCSI
>drive attached, but not powered up. This seems like the same problem
>a mac+ with old ROMs has. Did Apple make the same mistake twice?
>(the drive I used was a CMS 40M)
>-ME

Nah, it's not Apple's fault. All SCSI devices on a chain must be on.
That includes your external drive, since it's connected.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

cyosta@taux01.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ) (05/31/89)

.
.Nah, it's not Apple's fault. All SCSI devices on a chain must be on.
.That includes your external drive, since it's connected.
.
.--- Alex
.UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
.INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
.FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

Bull.  I have a Jasmine DD70 connected with the original Jasmine cable
and the terminator resistors left in.  My SE/30 boots fine with the drive
on OR off.  Once the SE/30 is on, I can change my mind and turn on the DD70,
restart the SE/30 and it too will mount.  To turn it off I suppose I should
Shutdown, turn it off and click restart.  It works as expected, no hastle

- Yossie

--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (05/31/89)

In article <25065@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
>In article <7598@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
->Has anyone else had problems booting an SE/30 with an external SCSI
->drive attached, but not powered up. This seems like the same problem
->a mac+ with old ROMs has. Did Apple make the same mistake twice?
->(the drive I used was a CMS 40M)
->-ME

>Nah, it's not Apple's fault. All SCSI devices on a chain must be on.
>That includes your external drive, since it's connected.

It's not Apple's fault -- but that's not the reason.  The problem is that the
TERMINATORS need to be powered up in order to run the SCSI bus.  Prior to the
Mac II, terminator power was NOT supplied by the Mac, so that the peripheral
at the end of the chain had to supply its own power.  With the Mac II and
later systems, terminator power is supplied at the SCSI connector, but I have
discovered that many disk controller boards do not have provision for accepting
terminator power from the bus -- hence the device with the terminators must be
powered up.  Intermediate (non terminated) devices do not need to be powered
up for the bus to run.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

nrc@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (05/31/89)

    writes:
>Has anyone else had problems booting an SE/30 with an external SCSI
>drive attached, but not powered up. This seems like the same problem
>a mac+ with old ROMs has. Did Apple make the same mistake twice?
>(the drive I used was a CMS 40M)

Yes, I don't know why it should matter to the Mac whether or not the drive
is powered up, but the machine knows it's connected to a SCSI device that
doesn't respond. I just leave my cable dangling when I don't need the
drive.

-> Mark Yeager     mdyj@crnlvax5

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (06/01/89)

Mike,

SCSI termination is the problem.  If the external SCSI device is off, then its
termination circuitry will only function properly when the device is turned on.
Otherwise, try either a long or shorter SCSI cable.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

gae@sphere.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (06/01/89)

In article <7598@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
>Has anyone else had problems booting an SE/30 with an external SCSI
>drive attached, but not powered up. This seems like the same problem
>a mac+ with old ROMs has. Did Apple make the same mistake twice?
>(the drive I used was a CMS 40M)
>-ME

Make sure you have the latest version of the CMS software.  An earlier
version was not quite compatible with one of the Apple system upgrades
(6.0?).
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics                     TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet

rm@praxa.com.au (Rick Mather: Praxa Sydney) (06/01/89)

In article <7598@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, engber@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Engber) writes:
> Has anyone else had problems booting an SE/30 with an external SCSI
> drive attached, but not powered up. This seems like the same problem
> a mac+ with old ROMs has. Did Apple make the same mistake twice?
> (the drive I used was a CMS 40M)
> -ME

The SCSI bus won't activate if it detects a device that isn't switched on. If
you want the device to be off line while you work you should switch it on, boot
your Mac and then trash the drive icon from the desktop.

This is not a bug but an exceptional feature to remind you to turn things on.

In deference to pete@basser.oz.AU (pete%basser.oz.AU@UUNET.UU.NET) {uunet,mcvax
,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!basser.oz!pete JANET: (POST) pete%au.oz.basser@EAN-RELAY
(MAIL) EAN%"pete@au.oz.basser", whose opinions are not expressed, implied or
represented by myself, rm@praxa.com.AU (rm%praxa.com.AU@UUNET.UU.NET) {uunet,
mcvax ,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!praxa.com!rm JANET: (POST) rm%au.com.praxa@EAN-RELAY
(MAIL) EAN%"rm@au.com.praxa", a very small .sig follows:
--
.

ken@cayman.COM (Ken Siegel) (06/02/89)

From article <7598@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by engber@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Engber):
> Has anyone else had problems booting an SE/30 with an external SCSI
> drive attached, but not powered up. This seems like the same problem
> a mac+ with old ROMs has. Did Apple make the same mistake twice?
> (the drive I used was a CMS 40M)
> -ME
I am running an SE/30 with a GCC FX/20 hard drive attached and turned
off. I have booted it many times without any problems.

Ken

roger@grenada.UUCP (Roger Corman) (06/03/89)

>.In article <7598@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
>.>Has anyone else had problems booting an SE/30 with an external SCSI
>.>drive attached, but not powered up. This seems like the same problem
>.>a mac+ with old ROMs has. Did Apple make the same mistake twice?
>.>(the drive I used was a CMS 40M)
>.>-ME
>.
>.Nah, it's not Apple's fault. All SCSI devices on a chain must be on.
>.That includes your external drive, since it's connected.
>.
>.--- Alex
I have been through this problem with an external drive on my IIx and
discovered that most people are confused on this issue.  The Mac IIx,
IIcx and SE/30 do not require all SCSI devices to be powered on to boot.
They DO require proper termination.  The drive I had connected had an
internal SCSI terminator which only works with power on.  To allow
booting from the internal drive with the external drive powered off
I added an external SCSI terminator.  My advice is to spend the $18 or
so and add the terminator so that you have the option.
Roger Corman

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (06/08/89)

It depends on how the drive was implemented.  Some drives
will bring down the whole bus if they are off, and some
won't.  It's not a case of Apple doing something wrong
or right.

The SCSI standard itself does not specify what devices are
supposed to do in this case, so I suppose drive vendors
just do whatever is easiest or cheapest.

					Tim Smith