[comp.sys.mac] Im not quite dead yet

jon@wehi.dn.mu.oz (Jon Eaves) (05/20/89)

Wow, thanks, my mailbox overfloweth,

  I probably should have said that I had managed to wipe out the infection
with Virex 1.2, and only wanted the information to ease my mind.

  Thanks to all those who replied.

  For those people who wanted me to send them stuff, as there was so many
(and because it will cost me real money to mail it to you and nothing to
 post) here are the answers.

1) nVIR is NON-malicious. It only infects applications, the system and finder.
2) It will beep at you 1 time in 16, and if you have Macintalk say "Don't
   Panic."

Again thanks very much.
  Jon Eaves                Walter and Eliza Hall Institute for Medical Research.
                     "As you wish...." - The Princess Bride

ACSnet    ( jon@wehi.dn.mu.oz )
UUCP      ( uunet!munnari!wehi.dn.mu.oz!jon )
Internet  ( jon%wehi.dn.mu.oz@uunet.uu.net )

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greggy) (05/24/89)

In article <197@wehi.dn.mu.oz> jon@wehi.dn.mu.oz (Jon Eaves) writes:
> 1) nVIR is NON-malicious. It only infects applications, the system and
finder.
> 2) It will beep at you 1 time in 16, and if you have Macintalk say "Don't
>    Panic."

There are several strains of nVIR.  Relying on ANY virus to be
non-malicious seems pretty foolhardy.

  + Greg Marriott               +                    AppleLink: Greg +
  + Just Some Guy               +                                    +
  + "My phone is always busy"   + Internet: Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com +
  + Apple Computer, Inc.                                             +
  + 20525 Mariani Ave, MS-27bc, Cupertino, CA  95014                 +
  + (408)974-busy                                                    +

pepke@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (06/06/89)

In article <197@wehi.dn.mu.oz> jon@wehi.dn.mu.oz (Jon Eaves) writes:
> 1) nVIR is NON-malicious. It only infects applications, the system and
> finder.

We had an attack of some strain of nVIR the other week.  NCSA Image, when
infected, crashed 100% of the time.

Sounds pretty malicious to me.

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua M. Alden) (06/09/89)

In article <744@loligo.cc.fsu.edu> pepke@loligo.UUCP (Eric Pepke) writes:
>In article <197@wehi.dn.mu.oz> jon@wehi.dn.mu.oz (Jon Eaves) writes:
>> 1) nVIR is NON-malicious. It only infects applications, the system and
>> finder.
>
>We had an attack of some strain of nVIR the other week.  NCSA Image, when
>infected, crashed 100% of the time.
>
>Sounds pretty malicious to me.
>
>Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
>Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
>Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
>Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu
>
>Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
>Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

    The point, Eric, is that the virus is not deliberately designed to
do something like erase a disk.  No Macintosh viruses that I know of
right now are deliberately designed to cause general destruction or
widespread damage or non-function (please correct me if you know
otherwise.)

    If a car rolls down a hill and kills a family at a picnic, they're
dead, but the car was not malicious, nor the parking break because it
failed, nor the driver because he forgot to set it, etc, etc.
'Malicious,' when talking about viruses, refers to a virus that
intentionally erases all disks after the 100th startup, or searches for
particular programs to destroy.

|                   Josh Alden                      | HB 48, Dartmouth College |
|    Private mail: Joshua.Alden@dartmouth.edu       | Hanover, NH     03755    |
|     Virus mail:   Virus.Info@dartmouth.edu        | (603) 640-5397 <- temp.  |