[comp.sys.mac] Boomerang 1.3

eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) (05/16/89)

A note to Mr. Hiroaki Yamamoto (author of Boomerang) and potential users.
I have tried the INIT on my system (Mac II, System Release 6.0.2, Multifinder)
and find it to be a nice utility.  However (rats!) It is broken by Word 4.0
in the OPEN... dialogue.  Note that it is NOT broken by Word in the SAVE AS...
dialogue.

Thank you, Hiroaki, for a nice INIT.  I hope you can fix the Word 4.0 problem.

								 Ed

/*******************************************************************
 * Edward Olsen                    ARPA: eto@spacely.jpl.nasa.gov  *
 * Mail Stop: 169-506              UUCP: ...!cit-vax!spacely!eto   *
 * Jet Propulsion Laboratory       SPAN: jplrag::olsen             *
 * 4800 Oak Grove Drive                                            *
 * Pasadena, CA 91109                                              *
 *                                                                 *
 * Phone: FTS: 792-7604      Commercial: (818) 354-7604            *
 *******************************************************************/

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (05/17/89)

In article <15931@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) writes:
>Thank you, Hiroaki, for a nice INIT.  I hope you can fix the Word 4.0 problem.

Some of the Boomerang 1.3 problems have been fixed in Boomerang 1.4,
which I've been using for a couple of weeks (I got 1.3 from sumex about
a month ago).  I will send 1.4 to the comp.binaries.mac moderator
when I get home.

One of my favorite changes is that 1.4 puts up an icon (in color
on color Macs!) right next to the upper right-hand corner of the
scrolling box.  The result is a smaller area that does not get
partially covered by most programs.

I agree that it is a nice INIT.  Combined with Rebound, I find it
very easy to get around on my system.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

jeff@visix.UUCP (Jeff Barr) (05/17/89)

In article <15931@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) writes:
> A note to Mr. Hiroaki Yamamoto (author of Boomerang) and potential users.
> I have tried the INIT on my system (Mac II, System Release 6.0.2, Multifinder)
> and find it to be a nice utility.  However (rats!) It is broken by Word 4.0
> in the OPEN... dialogue.  Note that it is NOT broken by Word in the SAVE AS...
> dialogue.

It's not really broken, there's a dialog item that partially covers it in
Word's OPEN... dialog.  You might notice that if you click near the right edge
of the dialog you can bring the Boomerang pop-up menu to the top.

The way to fix it is to go in with ResEdit (on a backup, of course)
and tweak the OPEN... dialog.

							Jeff

  /\       Jeff Barr   \    / Visix Software, Inc.  /\  800-832-8668 \    /
 /  \  uunet!visix!jeff \  /   1525 Wilson Blvd.   /  \ 703-841-5858  \  /
/    \                   \/   Arlington, VA 22209 /    \               \/
"A MIMD is a terrible thing to waste."

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (06/03/89)

In article <203@visix.UUCP> jeff@visix.UUCP (Jeff Barr) writes:
>In article <15931@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) writes:
>>A note to Mr. Hiroaki Yamamoto (author of Boomerang) and potential users.
>>I have tried the INIT on my system (Mac II, System Release 6.0.2, Multifinder)
>>and find it to be a nice utility.  However (rats!) It is broken by Word 4.0
>>in the OPEN... dialogue.  Note that it is NOT broken by Word in the SAVE AS...
>>dialogue.
>
>It's not really broken, there's a dialog item that partially covers it in
>Word's OPEN... dialog.  You might notice that if you click near the right edge
>of the dialog you can bring the Boomerang pop-up menu to the top.

This is also true of Excel.  A minor inconvenience, I feel; this is a great
program!

However, a feature that Boomerang *really* needs is the ability to manually
remove folders from its list.  Otherwise, it holds those folders open and
you can't do things like delete them.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (06/04/89)

In article <203@visix.UUCP> jeff@visix.UUCP (Jeff Barr) writes:
>In article <15931@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) writes:
>>A note to Mr. Hiroaki Yamamoto (author of Boomerang) and potential users.
>>I have tried the INIT on my system (Mac II, System Release 6.0.2, Multifinder)
>>and find it to be a nice utility.  However (rats!) It is broken by Word 4.0
>>in the OPEN... dialogue.  Note that it is NOT broken by Word in the SAVE AS...
>>dialogue.
>
>It's not really broken, there's a dialog item that partially covers it in
>Word's OPEN... dialog.  You might notice that if you click near the right edge
>of the dialog you can bring the Boomerang pop-up menu to the top.

With ResEdit, you can shrink the item which covers Boomerang.  I have had
no problems with doing this but:

	General principles for using ResEdit:
		Do this only on a copy
		Don't do this under multifinder with Word running (it is often
			suggested that you don't use ResEdit under multifinder
			at all.)

Open a copy of Word, look at the DITLs, and starting from the bottom (it is
a low-numbered resource) look for the 'OPEN...' dialog.  Shrink the offending
item box until it no longer would cover Boomerang.  (Shrink it only
horizontally)

It worked for me.  Your milage may vary.  If symptoms persist, see your doctor.

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
	"Only 10% of the 4000 mile long coastline was affected."
		-Exxon's version of the oil spill as reported to stockholders

sklein@cdp.UUCP (06/05/89)

Boomerang is a terrific utility.  I wish it could be combined with
Raymond Lau's SFVOL init, which allows you to create new directories
from thee Standard File dialog.  Really handy for saving files.

They aren't incompatible--I use them both.  But one pop-up menu is better
than two, and the pop-up used by SFVOL is almost never made invisible the
way the boomerang icon sometimes is.
 -shabtai

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David L. Williams) (06/06/89)

Boomerang 1.3 also clobbers SuperCard 1.0 when first started up and it asks
for the location of the sharedfile. The outline of the dialog box comes up
and then BOOM

-David
"Is that why its called BOOMerang? ;)"

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (06/07/89)

> Boomerang is a terrific utility.  I wish it could be combined with
> Raymond Lau's SFVOL init, which allows you to create new directories
> from thee Standard File dialog.  Really handy for saving files.

I found Boomerang useless as it did not save the folder list from boot
to boot (unless I was doing something wrong). I use HFS Navigator and it
remembers which folders you have selected to pop up from one session to
the next. My biggest complaint about HFS Navigator is that you have
to install it--it's not an INIT. I've had to uninstall/reinstall many times
when things mess it up. A real pain. So, *does* Boomerang remember its
folder list from boot to boot?

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

ron_b@apollo.COM (Ronald Buttiglieri) (06/07/89)

In article <141200044@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

>Boomerang is a terrific utility.  I wish it could be combined with
>Raymond Lau's SFVOL init, which allows you to create new directories
>from thee Standard File dialog.  Really handy for saving files.

I've just started to play with Boomerang (wish I had more time to) and like
it. I have seen a problem, namely with RedRyder 10.3 (?). No damaging
problem, just when you have a 'open file' popupmenu, Boomerang's icon is all
black (witl a few white streaks). Just thought I'd throw this into the ring...

Ron

P.S. Sorry for not knowing the actual versions, if anyone really needs them,
let me know.

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (06/08/89)

In article <43b00f85.16321@apollo.COM>, ron_b@apollo.COM (Ronald Buttiglieri) writes:
> In article <141200044@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:
>>
>>Boomerang is a terrific utility.  I wish it could be combined with
>>Raymond Lau's SFVOL init, which allows you to create new directories
>>from thee Standard File dialog.  Really handy for saving files.
>
> I've just started to play with Boomerang (wish I had more time to) and like
> it. I have seen a problem, namely with RedRyder 10.3 (?). No damaging
> problem, just when you have a 'open file' popupmenu, Boomerang's icon is all
> black (witl a few white streaks). Just thought I'd throw this into the ring...

There are quite a few applications that uses custom file-dialogues that have
items who conflict with Boomerang. I've found Boomerang so useful that I've
gone through the trouble of ResEditing these dialogues - for instance in
RedRyder, Word and a few others. This is a simple thing to do - just make sure
that you don't change the order of the dialogue-items in the process...

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (06/09/89)

In article <1935@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
" I found Boomerang useless as it did not save the folder list from boot
" to boot (unless I was doing something wrong). I use HFS Navigator and it
" remembers which folders you have selected to pop up from one session to
" the next. My biggest complaint about HFS Navigator is that you have
" to install it--it's not an INIT. I've had to uninstall/reinstall many times
" when things mess it up. A real pain. So, *does* Boomerang remember its
" folder list from boot to boot?

To have it remember a folder you do a command-select on a directory
name.  This is mentioned in the instructions. What's not mentioned is a
bug that it will only remember directories on the startup volume. I
emailed with the author and he said it will be fixed in the next version.

BTW, the Save As feature in MSWORD 3.0 doesn't get along with
Boomerang, but MSWORD 4.0 is quite happy with it.

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu

mcgee@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu (Randy McGee) (06/09/89)

In article <1935@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes...

>I found Boomerang useless as it did not save the folder list from boot
>to boot (unless I was doing something wrong).
>So, *does* Boomerang remember its
>folder list from boot to boot?

Yes.  Simply hold down the command-key while selecting a folder from the
Boomerang popup menu.  It will then be underlined which indicates it is
permanent.  You can make it temporary again by selecting it while holding
down the option key.

MAGOO